The Return of Volatility
As we predicted the bet on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures TM ETN (VXX) has been fruitful. The VXX has bounced back 12% since we said buy.
We have laid low the past few weeks and the prudent trade was talked up on Feb 13th in Where will Stocks Go from Here? That was the same day we went 95% cash and have held that position ever since. Forget our take, the gain in the VXX is even more impressive in the past 5 days as the VXX has rallied 18%. The market has been more unpredictable than a blind bat on crack and volatility has finally returned. The news has been flushed with headlines over the instability in Italy and our problems back in the U.S. with the impending March 1st deadline. Fear has entered back in the market and it's in full swing.
The benchmark gauge for American stock options rose the most in 18 months as partial election results in Italy and the lack of a political deal to avoid automatic spending cuts in the U.S. sent stocks tumbling.
The Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index (VIX), or VIX, climbed 34 percent to 18.99 for the biggest advance since August 2011. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index slid 1.8 percent to 1,487.85. The VIX, which measures the cost of using options as insurance against losses in the S&P 500, closed at the lowest level since April 2007 a week ago.
Congratulations to the 7 people who follow our website and actually made the trade. For now, the headlines are ruling the fate of U.S. equities.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Don Coxe on Brewing US Pension Crisis, Stimulus vs. Rising Rates | Financial Sense
- Thursday Humor: Medicare Part G? | ZeroHedge
- Mainstream Media Has Managed To Politicize A Frivolous Lawsuit (And Used Fake Headlines To Do It) | ZeroHedge
- "Trump Trade 1.0" Is Over - Why It Will Take Some Time To Ship Version 2.0 | ZeroHedge
- Mexico's Finance Minister Warns Mexican Companies "Not To Participate In Construction Of The Wall" | ZeroHedge
- Banks Stocks could underperform for years (Update) | ZeroHedge
- Trump's Wealth Takes 'Yuge' Billion Dollar Hit; Plummets 'Bigly' On Forbes List | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Snap is soaring higher | Business Insider
- Twitter is exploring a new way to make money from its most active users | Business Insider
- Nets center Brook Lopez had a great reaction to finding out his twin... | Business Insider
- It looks like the writing is on the wall for traditional TV | Business Insider
- Uber brings on 2 execs from Amazon and Dropbox to woo... | Business Insider
- Microsoft's LinkedIn wants you to sound like a genius when you walk into your... | Business Insider
- Trump: I feel 'somewhat' vindicated by House Intelligence Committee chair's... | Business Insider