The Return of Volatility
As we predicted the bet on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures TM ETN (VXX) has been fruitful. The VXX has bounced back 12% since we said buy.
We have laid low the past few weeks and the prudent trade was talked up on Feb 13th in Where will Stocks Go from Here? That was the same day we went 95% cash and have held that position ever since. Forget our take, the gain in the VXX is even more impressive in the past 5 days as the VXX has rallied 18%. The market has been more unpredictable than a blind bat on crack and volatility has finally returned. The news has been flushed with headlines over the instability in Italy and our problems back in the U.S. with the impending March 1st deadline. Fear has entered back in the market and it's in full swing.
The benchmark gauge for American stock options rose the most in 18 months as partial election results in Italy and the lack of a political deal to avoid automatic spending cuts in the U.S. sent stocks tumbling.
The Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index (VIX), or VIX, climbed 34 percent to 18.99 for the biggest advance since August 2011. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index slid 1.8 percent to 1,487.85. The VIX, which measures the cost of using options as insurance against losses in the S&P 500, closed at the lowest level since April 2007 a week ago.
Congratulations to the 7 people who follow our website and actually made the trade. For now, the headlines are ruling the fate of U.S. equities.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Oligarch Recovery: Low Income Americans Can't Afford To Live In Any Metro Area | ZeroHedge
- A Layman's Explanation Of The Wall Street Rigged Casino Analogy | ZeroHedge
- Citi Admits The Truth: "If The Market Drops 10%, The Fed Will Most Likely Not Hike" | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing Plunges To 2-Year Lows As New Orders, Employment Tumble | ZeroHedge
- When Every Option In The Financial System Is Grounded In Absurdity, It's Time To Look Elsewhere | ZeroHedge
- ConocoPhillips Fires 10% Of Global Workforce, Warns Of "Dramatic Downturn" To Oil Industry | ZeroHedge
- Forget the Sept. '15 Fed Tightening – There Has Been a Stealth Tightening Since Sept. '14 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Instagram just made it a lot less annoying to share photos | Business Insider
- Here’s what Facebook knows about you based on your ‘likes’ | Business Insider
- Spain: Police search family house of train attacker | Business Insider
- One of the government agents tasked with... | Business Insider
- Chris Christie used to post on an online forum for Bruce... | Business Insider
- Something historic is happening with hurricanes in the Pacific Ocean — and it could... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (YHOO, GOOG,... | Business Insider