The Return of Volatility
As we predicted the bet on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures TM ETN (VXX) has been fruitful. The VXX has bounced back 12% since we said buy.
We have laid low the past few weeks and the prudent trade was talked up on Feb 13th in Where will Stocks Go from Here? That was the same day we went 95% cash and have held that position ever since. Forget our take, the gain in the VXX is even more impressive in the past 5 days as the VXX has rallied 18%. The market has been more unpredictable than a blind bat on crack and volatility has finally returned. The news has been flushed with headlines over the instability in Italy and our problems back in the U.S. with the impending March 1st deadline. Fear has entered back in the market and it's in full swing.
The benchmark gauge for American stock options rose the most in 18 months as partial election results in Italy and the lack of a political deal to avoid automatic spending cuts in the U.S. sent stocks tumbling.
The Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index (VIX), or VIX, climbed 34 percent to 18.99 for the biggest advance since August 2011. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index slid 1.8 percent to 1,487.85. The VIX, which measures the cost of using options as insurance against losses in the S&P 500, closed at the lowest level since April 2007 a week ago.
Congratulations to the 7 people who follow our website and actually made the trade. For now, the headlines are ruling the fate of U.S. equities.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Majority Finds Media Coverage Of Trump Is "Too Critical, Exaggerated": WSJ/NBC Poll | ZeroHedge
- 2017 Economic Headwinds: Housing Bubbles Popping up and Just Plain Popping Everywhere | ZeroHedge
- Mnuchin Manages Expectations On Tax Reform; Warns Trump "Not Touching" Entitlements | ZeroHedge
- Charts Of The Week: 10 Reasons To Be Cautious In This Market | ZeroHedge
- #DemExit: Perez Vote Sparks Progressive Panic Within Divided Democratic Party | ZeroHedge
- All Eyes on Upcoming French Elections; Finance Chief: "Le Pen Will Never Be Elected" | Financial Sense
- Citizen Militia Experiences Explosive Growth Following The Last Election | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A startup president named to Forbes' 30 under 30 shares... | Business Insider
- Goldman Sachs downgrades Tesla — and the stock is falling (TSLA) | Business Insider
- These are the leading credit card processing companies (JPM, BAC, C, WFC, VNTV,... | Business Insider
- Tillerson pushed by bipartisan... | Business Insider
- One photo sums up the baffled audience reaction to the big Oscars best picture... | Business Insider
- Some of the biggest names in the hedge fund industry are... | Business Insider
- A little-known Mexican-food chain run by a former Chipotle exec is crushing it | Business Insider