VMware: Lost in the Clouds?
VMware Inc (VMW) shares tanked 21% today and hit a new 12 month low. VMW closed down $21 to just over $77 a share. The company was killed on its 'soft guidance' and traders are not going to pay high multiplies thus dumping the stock.
VMware's guidance didn't sound terrible, the company expects Q1 revenue in the range of $1.17 billion to $1.19 billion with 2013 total revenue at $5.23 billion to $5.35 billion. Analysts had expected $1.25 billion for the first quarter and $5.42 billion for the year. What got the attention today was VMware's plan to cut 900 jobs, which is 7 to 8% of its global workforce. It's a bit of a mystery as the company said their head count will still increase by about 1,000 this year despite the layoffs. Smoke and mirrors trick maybe?
Traders didn't seem to believe that the good times will continue at VMware. The short sellers ruled the tape on VMW today and the 13% short float did not work in longs favor. High frequency trading had to be involved as volume on VMW hit 27.8 million shares compared to the normal 1.8 million. Every financial news site and blog had an opinion on VMware today and the overall tone is negative. The analyst activity was also busy as all get out, here are the ratings today thanks to finviz.com:
Taking all those estimates into consideration just on the target price alone and it comes out to an average of 25% increase 12 months from now.
|Target Price||% Increase|
Bottom line: Mastery will wait until the dust settles on VMware. It's a roll of the dice if the falling knife continues or we get a dead cat bounce.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Energy Analysts at the Big Banks are Not Very Good These Days (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Bianco: Brexit Probably Most Bullish Thing That Happened This Summer | Financial Sense
- Deutsche Bank CEO Warns Of "Fatal Consequences" For Savers | ZeroHedge
- US Trade Deficit Shrinks On Biggest Spike In Food & Beverage Exports In History | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Vol Crashes To 2016 Lows | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Thinks "Mr. Brexit" Is Just Another "Right-wing, Xenophobic, Sexist, Bigot" That You Should Promptly Ignore | ZeroHedge
- Mylan CEO: "The US Healthcare System Bubble Is Going To Burst; This Is No Different Than The Subprime Crisis" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Even the best region for housing in America can't escape the new crisis (ITB, XHB) | Business Insider
- Amazon claims another victim as Rackspace finally goes private in... | Business Insider
- TIFFANY CEO: China isn't buying like it used to (tif) | Business Insider
- Here's how Boeing plans to extinguish wildfires... | Business Insider
- CITI: 'Everything feels distorted and unnatural' | Business Insider
- Top US sneaker reseller Stadium Goods is now tapping into the Chinese... | Business Insider
- The new 'Legend of Zelda' game footage shows off some of... | Business Insider