VMware: Lost in the Clouds?
VMware Inc (VMW) shares tanked 21% today and hit a new 12 month low. VMW closed down $21 to just over $77 a share. The company was killed on its 'soft guidance' and traders are not going to pay high multiplies thus dumping the stock.
VMware's guidance didn't sound terrible, the company expects Q1 revenue in the range of $1.17 billion to $1.19 billion with 2013 total revenue at $5.23 billion to $5.35 billion. Analysts had expected $1.25 billion for the first quarter and $5.42 billion for the year. What got the attention today was VMware's plan to cut 900 jobs, which is 7 to 8% of its global workforce. It's a bit of a mystery as the company said their head count will still increase by about 1,000 this year despite the layoffs. Smoke and mirrors trick maybe?
Traders didn't seem to believe that the good times will continue at VMware. The short sellers ruled the tape on VMW today and the 13% short float did not work in longs favor. High frequency trading had to be involved as volume on VMW hit 27.8 million shares compared to the normal 1.8 million. Every financial news site and blog had an opinion on VMware today and the overall tone is negative. The analyst activity was also busy as all get out, here are the ratings today thanks to finviz.com:
Taking all those estimates into consideration just on the target price alone and it comes out to an average of 25% increase 12 months from now.
|Target Price||% Increase|
Bottom line: Mastery will wait until the dust settles on VMware. It's a roll of the dice if the falling knife continues or we get a dead cat bounce.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Venezuela’s Inflation: The Wall Street Journal’s Reportage is Off, Way Off | ZeroHedge
- Gold Bars Go to $6 Premium in China as Yuan Hits Fresh 6-Year Lows on Capital Outflows | Financial Sense
- The Path To Total Dictatorship: America's Shadow Government And Its Silent Coup | ZeroHedge
- Evolution Of An Investor (A Peek Into My Mind) | ZeroHedge
- Global Warming Scam Exposed | ZeroHedge
- More Bad News For Phiadelphia: Obamacare Premiums Set To Soar More Than 50% | ZeroHedge
- Bank of England Asks UK Banks To Detail Their Exposure To Deutsche And Italian Banks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Josh Brown has been released by the New York Giants and team accepts... | Business Insider
- TIM COOK: Here's why assistants on phones are better... | Business Insider
- A long-time Apple PR executive has a new job leading... | Business Insider
- Working on the weekend doesn't make you a workaholic — but it... | Business Insider
- Goldman Sachs missed out on the biggest deal of the year | Business Insider
- Why so many people don't understand introverts | Business Insider
- Donald Trump is leading in a new poll in Florida for the first time in almost a month | Business Insider