VMware: Lost in the Clouds?
VMware Inc (VMW) shares tanked 21% today and hit a new 12 month low. VMW closed down $21 to just over $77 a share. The company was killed on its 'soft guidance' and traders are not going to pay high multiplies thus dumping the stock.
VMware's guidance didn't sound terrible, the company expects Q1 revenue in the range of $1.17 billion to $1.19 billion with 2013 total revenue at $5.23 billion to $5.35 billion. Analysts had expected $1.25 billion for the first quarter and $5.42 billion for the year. What got the attention today was VMware's plan to cut 900 jobs, which is 7 to 8% of its global workforce. It's a bit of a mystery as the company said their head count will still increase by about 1,000 this year despite the layoffs. Smoke and mirrors trick maybe?
Traders didn't seem to believe that the good times will continue at VMware. The short sellers ruled the tape on VMW today and the 13% short float did not work in longs favor. High frequency trading had to be involved as volume on VMW hit 27.8 million shares compared to the normal 1.8 million. Every financial news site and blog had an opinion on VMware today and the overall tone is negative. The analyst activity was also busy as all get out, here are the ratings today thanks to finviz.com:
Taking all those estimates into consideration just on the target price alone and it comes out to an average of 25% increase 12 months from now.
|Target Price||% Increase|
Bottom line: Mastery will wait until the dust settles on VMware. It's a roll of the dice if the falling knife continues or we get a dead cat bounce.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Shale Drillers About To Be "Zero Hedged" As Loss Protection Expires | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Surge Despite Dashed Hellenic Hope, Crude Carnages | ZeroHedge
- Next Steps For Greece: The Complete Post-Referendum Roadmap | ZeroHedge
- Manhattan Apartment Prices Soar To Record On Billionaire Bid | ZeroHedge
- Bull Market Pause or Top? Clues from the Credit Markets | Financial Sense
- The Best And Worst Performing Assets In June And The First Half Of 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Greece’s Referendum | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- David Cameron is going to try and ban encryption in Britain (AAPL)... | Business Insider
- Sponsors will quit FIFA without reform - ex official | Business Insider
- Why everything you think you know about sugar is probably wrong | Business Insider
- THE DRONES REPORT: Market Forecasts, Regulatory Barriers, Top Vendors, And Leading... | Business Insider
- How beacons — small, low-cost gadgets — will influence billions... | Business Insider
- GM might actually be trying to put Tesla out of business (TSLA... | Business Insider
- French court rules 'no error' by... | Business Insider