VMware: Lost in the Clouds?
VMware Inc (VMW) shares tanked 21% today and hit a new 12 month low. VMW closed down $21 to just over $77 a share. The company was killed on its 'soft guidance' and traders are not going to pay high multiplies thus dumping the stock.
VMware's guidance didn't sound terrible, the company expects Q1 revenue in the range of $1.17 billion to $1.19 billion with 2013 total revenue at $5.23 billion to $5.35 billion. Analysts had expected $1.25 billion for the first quarter and $5.42 billion for the year. What got the attention today was VMware's plan to cut 900 jobs, which is 7 to 8% of its global workforce. It's a bit of a mystery as the company said their head count will still increase by about 1,000 this year despite the layoffs. Smoke and mirrors trick maybe?
Traders didn't seem to believe that the good times will continue at VMware. The short sellers ruled the tape on VMW today and the 13% short float did not work in longs favor. High frequency trading had to be involved as volume on VMW hit 27.8 million shares compared to the normal 1.8 million. Every financial news site and blog had an opinion on VMware today and the overall tone is negative. The analyst activity was also busy as all get out, here are the ratings today thanks to finviz.com:
Taking all those estimates into consideration just on the target price alone and it comes out to an average of 25% increase 12 months from now.
|Target Price||% Increase|
Bottom line: Mastery will wait until the dust settles on VMware. It's a roll of the dice if the falling knife continues or we get a dead cat bounce.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- SHHH, NO BRAGGING | iBankCoin.com
- Equity Rallies Are Corrective, Downside Risks Remain, BofAML Says | ZeroHedge
- We Again See Real Estate As Best Investment | Financial Sense
- President Obama Discusses Obamacare And The (De)Escalation - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- If The Smart Money Is Selling, Who's Buying? | ZeroHedge
- Has Inflation in the U.S. Bottomed Out? | Financial Sense
- NATO To Boost Air, Warship Presence Around Russia; Netherlands May Deploy F-16s To Ukraine | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's A Photo Of Rupert Murdoch Wearing An Oculus Rift | Business Insider
- These Charts Explain Why Google Missed, Sending The Stock Tanking (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Dating App Zoosk Files For A $100 Million IPO, And It Has Some Impressive Revenues | Business Insider
- CHART OF THE DAY: We Are Currently In The Weakest Earnings Cycle In 55 Years | Business Insider
- These Numbers Show That Box CEO Aaron Levie Is A Genius | Business Insider
- Instagram Might Give Away Your Account Handle Without Telling You First If You... | Business Insider