VMware: Lost in the Clouds?
VMware Inc (VMW) shares tanked 21% today and hit a new 12 month low. VMW closed down $21 to just over $77 a share. The company was killed on its 'soft guidance' and traders are not going to pay high multiplies thus dumping the stock.
VMware's guidance didn't sound terrible, the company expects Q1 revenue in the range of $1.17 billion to $1.19 billion with 2013 total revenue at $5.23 billion to $5.35 billion. Analysts had expected $1.25 billion for the first quarter and $5.42 billion for the year. What got the attention today was VMware's plan to cut 900 jobs, which is 7 to 8% of its global workforce. It's a bit of a mystery as the company said their head count will still increase by about 1,000 this year despite the layoffs. Smoke and mirrors trick maybe?
Traders didn't seem to believe that the good times will continue at VMware. The short sellers ruled the tape on VMW today and the 13% short float did not work in longs favor. High frequency trading had to be involved as volume on VMW hit 27.8 million shares compared to the normal 1.8 million. Every financial news site and blog had an opinion on VMware today and the overall tone is negative. The analyst activity was also busy as all get out, here are the ratings today thanks to finviz.com:
Taking all those estimates into consideration just on the target price alone and it comes out to an average of 25% increase 12 months from now.
|Target Price||% Increase|
Bottom line: Mastery will wait until the dust settles on VMware. It's a roll of the dice if the falling knife continues or we get a dead cat bounce.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chinese Stocks Tumble As Offshore Yuan Surges Most In 2 Months After Apparent PBOC Intervention | ZeroHedge
- Erdogan Says Will Resign If Oil Purchases From ISIS Proven After Putin Says Has "More Proof" | ZeroHedge
- Are the BRICS Crumbling? | Financial Sense
- Paper Gold Dilution Hits 294x As Comex Registered Gold Drops To New All-Time Low | ZeroHedge
- 14,000 Refugees Due For Deportation From Sweden Have Vanished: "We Simply Do Not Know Where They Are" | ZeroHedge
- World's Largest Pension Fund Suffers $64 Billion Loss After Doubling Down On Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Stocks End November With Nothing Despite Biggest Short-Squeeze In 6 Months | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's why a major bank is using Facebook to replace company emails (FB) | Business Insider
- Dad of missing boy held after human remains found in barn... | Business Insider
- Chiefs hold off Bills 30-22 for 5th straight win | Business Insider
- Pope Francis meets with Muslims in Central African... | Business Insider
- Report: Clashes between govt., rebels kill 30 in Congo | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- 9 emails that show Hillary Clinton struggles with tech... | Business Insider