VMware: Lost in the Clouds?
VMware Inc (VMW) shares tanked 21% today and hit a new 12 month low. VMW closed down $21 to just over $77 a share. The company was killed on its 'soft guidance' and traders are not going to pay high multiplies thus dumping the stock.
VMware's guidance didn't sound terrible, the company expects Q1 revenue in the range of $1.17 billion to $1.19 billion with 2013 total revenue at $5.23 billion to $5.35 billion. Analysts had expected $1.25 billion for the first quarter and $5.42 billion for the year. What got the attention today was VMware's plan to cut 900 jobs, which is 7 to 8% of its global workforce. It's a bit of a mystery as the company said their head count will still increase by about 1,000 this year despite the layoffs. Smoke and mirrors trick maybe?
Traders didn't seem to believe that the good times will continue at VMware. The short sellers ruled the tape on VMW today and the 13% short float did not work in longs favor. High frequency trading had to be involved as volume on VMW hit 27.8 million shares compared to the normal 1.8 million. Every financial news site and blog had an opinion on VMware today and the overall tone is negative. The analyst activity was also busy as all get out, here are the ratings today thanks to finviz.com:
Taking all those estimates into consideration just on the target price alone and it comes out to an average of 25% increase 12 months from now.
|Target Price||% Increase|
Bottom line: Mastery will wait until the dust settles on VMware. It's a roll of the dice if the falling knife continues or we get a dead cat bounce.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The American Dream Is Dead (And Now Even The Mainstream Media Is Starting To Admit It) | ZeroHedge
- "Folly For The Ages": After Buying Back 63 Million Shares At $83, Hess Just Sold 25 Million Shares At $39 | ZeroHedge
- Dear Barack... You Forgot To Mention A Few Things | ZeroHedge
- Is Deutsche Bank Signaling A New Banking Crisis? | ZeroHedge
- China Explores Its Monetary Easing Toolkit | Financial Sense
- Bank Of America Admits The U.S. May Already Be In A Recession | ZeroHedge
- The Number Everyone's Been Waiting For: Chinese Reserves Plunge By $100BN - What Does It Mean For Markets? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A British billionaire just opened a grocery store where everything costs 36 cents | Business Insider
- Steve Jobs was one of the greatest procrastinators ever —... | Business Insider
- A 'night mayor' is transforming Amsterdam after dark | Business Insider
- 2 of Marco Rubio's top rivals are ripping into him ahead of the GOP debate | Business Insider
- Google is testing a clever trick to charge self-driving... | Business Insider
- A hedge fund has laid out why it is closing — and it is enough to set alarm bells ringing everywhere | Business Insider
- How Pandora plans to win against Spotify in on-demand streaming (P) | Business Insider