Have Steel Stocks Bottomed?
Of the stocks in the steel sector Mastery is most intrigued by Steel Dynamics (STLD), U.S. Steel Corp (X) and AK Steel (AKS). X and AKS have huge short interest and have been horrible investments in the past 12 months. The exception to would be STLD which is holding up well. The steel sector is out of favor with Wall Street, that's why we want in.
United States Steel Corp (X) is trading at $18.04 and its shares are 12% from its 52-week low. The Big X has a massive 30% short interest and its stock is down 24% YTD.
AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS) is trading at $3.38 and its shares are 18% from its 52-week low. AKS is also down 24% YTD and carries a 32% short interest.
Steel Dynamics Inc (STLD) is trading at $15.03 and near the top of its 12 month range. STLD short interest is tiny, at 4%. STLD is up 10% YTD, beating X and AKS by a landslide.
Despite the terrible performance of X and AKS they have finally bottomed. Both of those stocks have rebounded in the past month so it appears the worst could be over. Steel stocks have been killed in the past two years thanks to a slow worldwide economy and excess production capacity. This has caused steel prices to drop and everyone has enjoyed it but big steel.
Mastery expects the stock pickers to finally take notice of this sector and with such high short interest the tide could turn. Then again you could argue the shorts are looking for a winning bet so maybe X and AKS continue to suffer. However one look at the charts and it's clear the shorts are losing the battle in AKS and X. If you are going to play this bet expect volatility but we believe the worst is behind us.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It’s Official – Biggest Nino Ever – Killer La Nina to Follow | Financial Sense
- Should People Be Allowed To Work For $1 An Hour? | ZeroHedge
- Global Stocks Fall For First Time In Six Days As Commodity Rout Spills Over Into Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Markets Swoon On News Terrorist's Explosive Belt Was Found In Paris Trash Can | ZeroHedge
- Who Should Pay For The Syrian Refugees? | ZeroHedge
- Key Economic Events In The Holiday-Shortened Week | ZeroHedge
- Look Out Troika, Portugal Names Socialist Antonio Costa Prime Minister | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- British Davis Cup team set for Belgium | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (FB, INTC, HP, MSFT, GOOG) | Business Insider
- Prescott, Allen put on amazing QB duel in shootout | Business Insider
- Harrowing pictures show how dire the European refugee crisis has become | Business Insider
- Syracuse fires coach Scott Shafer after 8th straight loss... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (AAPL, GOOG,... | Business Insider
- US issues travel warning following terror attacks | Business Insider