Have Steel Stocks Bottomed?
Of the stocks in the steel sector Mastery is most intrigued by Steel Dynamics (STLD), U.S. Steel Corp (X) and AK Steel (AKS). X and AKS have huge short interest and have been horrible investments in the past 12 months. The exception to would be STLD which is holding up well. The steel sector is out of favor with Wall Street, that's why we want in.
United States Steel Corp (X) is trading at $18.04 and its shares are 12% from its 52-week low. The Big X has a massive 30% short interest and its stock is down 24% YTD.
AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS) is trading at $3.38 and its shares are 18% from its 52-week low. AKS is also down 24% YTD and carries a 32% short interest.
Steel Dynamics Inc (STLD) is trading at $15.03 and near the top of its 12 month range. STLD short interest is tiny, at 4%. STLD is up 10% YTD, beating X and AKS by a landslide.
Despite the terrible performance of X and AKS they have finally bottomed. Both of those stocks have rebounded in the past month so it appears the worst could be over. Steel stocks have been killed in the past two years thanks to a slow worldwide economy and excess production capacity. This has caused steel prices to drop and everyone has enjoyed it but big steel.
Mastery expects the stock pickers to finally take notice of this sector and with such high short interest the tide could turn. Then again you could argue the shorts are looking for a winning bet so maybe X and AKS continue to suffer. However one look at the charts and it's clear the shorts are losing the battle in AKS and X. If you are going to play this bet expect volatility but we believe the worst is behind us.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Payrolls Rise 178K As Unemployment Rate Tumbles To 4.6% But Average Hourly Earnings Worst Since 2014 | ZeroHedge
- Is It Too Late To Be A Writer / Entrepreneur / X at 28 / 38 / 48 Years Old? | Altucher Confidential
- Official Washington's "Info-Wars" | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Clinton Gains One Vote On First Day Of Wisconsin Recount | ZeroHedge
- US Oil Rig Count Rises To 10-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- TRUMPISTI! Italian Populists Expected to Defeat Referendum; EU Crisis Looms | ZeroHedge
- Indian ‘Gold Ban’ a Portent of Major Events? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mexico's central bank head is resigning next year | Business Insider
- We got to see how IBM's Watson supercomputer could help diagnose a... | Business Insider
- Stephen Hawking was spot-on when he said 'we eat too much and... | Business Insider
- Antarctica's sky just lit up with electric-blue clouds —... | Business Insider
- 10 free websites that will show you how much your home is worth | Business Insider
- 23 years ago, Pablo Escobar was gunned down in his hometown,... | Business Insider
- Trump's Cabinet could be the wealthiest in US history | Business Insider