Have Steel Stocks Bottomed?
Of the stocks in the steel sector Mastery is most intrigued by Steel Dynamics (STLD), U.S. Steel Corp (X) and AK Steel (AKS). X and AKS have huge short interest and have been horrible investments in the past 12 months. The exception to would be STLD which is holding up well. The steel sector is out of favor with Wall Street, that's why we want in.
United States Steel Corp (X) is trading at $18.04 and its shares are 12% from its 52-week low. The Big X has a massive 30% short interest and its stock is down 24% YTD.
AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS) is trading at $3.38 and its shares are 18% from its 52-week low. AKS is also down 24% YTD and carries a 32% short interest.
Steel Dynamics Inc (STLD) is trading at $15.03 and near the top of its 12 month range. STLD short interest is tiny, at 4%. STLD is up 10% YTD, beating X and AKS by a landslide.
Despite the terrible performance of X and AKS they have finally bottomed. Both of those stocks have rebounded in the past month so it appears the worst could be over. Steel stocks have been killed in the past two years thanks to a slow worldwide economy and excess production capacity. This has caused steel prices to drop and everyone has enjoyed it but big steel.
Mastery expects the stock pickers to finally take notice of this sector and with such high short interest the tide could turn. Then again you could argue the shorts are looking for a winning bet so maybe X and AKS continue to suffer. However one look at the charts and it's clear the shorts are losing the battle in AKS and X. If you are going to play this bet expect volatility but we believe the worst is behind us.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fired Before Hired: How Corporations Rigged The Job Market And Killed The American Dream | ZeroHedge
- McDonalds CEO Retires Following Horrible Year: New Boss Seen Here Wearing At Least 37 Pieces Of Flair | ZeroHedge
- Shake Shak Opens For Trading Valued At 108x EBITDA | ZeroHedge
- Will Draghi’s QE work? | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Is "Pressing" Obama For $3 Billion In Financial Aid | ZeroHedge
- A Few Charts For Friday | iBankCoin.com
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Malaysia declares MH370 an accident, passengers dead | Business Insider
- Russian bank boss: sanctions are economic war against Russia | Business Insider
- Businesses That Update Their Apps Frequently See More App-Store Success, And Better... | Business Insider
- Activist investors are really polite in Japan | Business Insider
- Greece's New Finance... | Business Insider
- A Rare Fox Was Spotted In Yosemite For The First Time In 100... | Business Insider
- Jay Z Has Bought One Of Spotify's Biggest Rivals For $56 Million | Business Insider