4 Short Squeeze Stocks to Trade
The S&P 500 and the Down Jones Ind. finished 0.6% higher today despite zero progess made avoiding the 'Fiscal Cliff'. Four stocks did finish higher today and they are loaded with short interest. Those names are Zillow Inc. (Z), RadioShack Corp. (RSH), J.C. Penny Company, Inc. (JCP) and wildcard candidate Pandora Media Inc. (P). If the rally in equities continues the short sellers are going to have to switch course and send those four stocks higher.
Shares of Zillow Inc. (Z), RadioShack Corp. (RSH), J.C. Penny Company, Inc. (JCP) all jumped 4% on no credible news or events. Those 3 stocks are heavily shorted and the move higher corresponded with the major stock indices. Mastery believes that trend could continue for JCP, RSH, and Z. The shot in the dark is Pandora as the Street continues to punish the company and send its share price lower.
When a heavily shorted stock jumps on a single day the short sellers are forced to exit. The traders that are short on the given stock then have to liquidate and cover their position by buying back the stock. If enough short sellers buy back the stock, the price is pushed even higher and off to the races we go. We are also going with household name stocks that trade with a decent amount of volume. This allows you to get out if the stock isn't moving the direction you want.
Here is the 411 on these 4 possible short-squeeze stock plays:
Zillow Inc (Z) shares enjoyed a 4.78% rally today and closed at $28.50. Zillow's short float is at an outstanding 32%. Zillow shares have traded between $21.41 and $46.86 over the past 12 months. Keep in mind the Big Z is now 25% from its 52-week low.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) shares ticked 4.1% higher today to close at $19.23. JCP sports a 32% short float.
RadioShack Corp (RSH) shares ticked 5.58% higher today to close at $2.08. RadioShack has a massive 38% short float.
Pandora (P) shares have a 21% short float and today it closed flat at $7.95.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- FDIC Sounds Alarm On Insolvent, "Zero Hedged" Oil & Gas Producers | ZeroHedge
- Is Gold Really Manipulated? Or, Are You Being Manipulated? | Financial Sense
- "It Could Never Happen Here" - America Is Not Greece | ZeroHedge
- Since 2007 The US Has Lost 1.4 Million Manufacturers, Gained 1.4 Million Waiters And Bartenders | ZeroHedge
- Current Oil Price Slump Far From Over | Financial Sense
- US Police More Concerned About "Anti-Government" Domestic Extremists Than Al-Qaeda, Study Finds | ZeroHedge
- The "Smartest Money" Is Liquidating Stocks At A Record Pace: "Selling Everything That’s Not Bolted Down" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Persimmon said in a trading update that | Business Insider
- Graphic shows the map and key details for the 2015 Tour de France | Business Insider
- Hey, look — the company that is supposed to kill Apple just hit a wall... | Business Insider
- An African python dies prematurely after eating a 30-pound porcupine, but that's not what... | Business Insider
- Spain raises growth forecast to 3.3% in 2015, 3% in 2016 | Business Insider
- Retailers are launching a new generation of e-commerce membership programs modeled on '... | Business Insider
- The Cavaliers are making a $230 million bet that last year's team is... | Business Insider