4 Short Squeeze Stocks to Trade
The S&P 500 and the Down Jones Ind. finished 0.6% higher today despite zero progess made avoiding the 'Fiscal Cliff'. Four stocks did finish higher today and they are loaded with short interest. Those names are Zillow Inc. (Z), RadioShack Corp. (RSH), J.C. Penny Company, Inc. (JCP) and wildcard candidate Pandora Media Inc. (P). If the rally in equities continues the short sellers are going to have to switch course and send those four stocks higher.
Shares of Zillow Inc. (Z), RadioShack Corp. (RSH), J.C. Penny Company, Inc. (JCP) all jumped 4% on no credible news or events. Those 3 stocks are heavily shorted and the move higher corresponded with the major stock indices. Mastery believes that trend could continue for JCP, RSH, and Z. The shot in the dark is Pandora as the Street continues to punish the company and send its share price lower.
When a heavily shorted stock jumps on a single day the short sellers are forced to exit. The traders that are short on the given stock then have to liquidate and cover their position by buying back the stock. If enough short sellers buy back the stock, the price is pushed even higher and off to the races we go. We are also going with household name stocks that trade with a decent amount of volume. This allows you to get out if the stock isn't moving the direction you want.
Here is the 411 on these 4 possible short-squeeze stock plays:
Zillow Inc (Z) shares enjoyed a 4.78% rally today and closed at $28.50. Zillow's short float is at an outstanding 32%. Zillow shares have traded between $21.41 and $46.86 over the past 12 months. Keep in mind the Big Z is now 25% from its 52-week low.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) shares ticked 4.1% higher today to close at $19.23. JCP sports a 32% short float.
RadioShack Corp (RSH) shares ticked 5.58% higher today to close at $2.08. RadioShack has a massive 38% short float.
Pandora (P) shares have a 21% short float and today it closed flat at $7.95.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obama Prepared To Unleash More Sanctions On Russia | ZeroHedge
- David Stockman On The Real Evil Of Monetary Central Planning | ZeroHedge
- Two-Thirds Of Chinese Consumers No Longer Trust Western Fast-Food As "Meat Scandal" Spreads Across Asia | ZeroHedge
- Confused Hamas Demands Truce But Only On Its Terms | ZeroHedge
- Consensus Building for 2016 Stock Market Bubble, Crash | Financial Sense
- Barclays Wants Dark Pool Complaint Against It Dismissed, Says "Nobody Was Harmed"; NY Attorney General Disagrees | ZeroHedge
- Phantom Liquidity and Perfect Pilfering | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The IMF Just Cut Its Outlook For The World | Business Insider
- Finally, A Novel About People Tweeting About Writing Their Novels | Business Insider
- What It's Like To Be Part Of New York's Most Renowned Public... | Business Insider
- A Tree In India Is Bigger Than The Average Wal-Mart | Business Insider
- CATERPILLAR: Here's What The Global Economy Looks Like To Us Right Now (CAT) | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Celgene Stock Falls After Mixed Second-Quarter Earnings | TheStreet.com