Place your bets on the Homebuilders (Z,DHI,KB)
The 3 stocks we recommend looking at are Zillow (Z), D.R. Horton (DHI) and KB Home (KBH). The data should give a strong indication of the end of the spring home selling season, which by many accounts, was stronger than expected.
New-home sales, also coming Wednesday, could spike by 8% to 355,000 units annualized from 328,000 units in March, writes Credit Suisse, which is far more bullish than consensus for a gain of 2%.
“Our estimate is based on our market checks along with the higher single-family construction in April (census new-home sales data typically follow moves in starts/permits) as well as the upward revisions to recent months for construction,” the firm writes. “This, coupled with a seemingly anomalous 7% decline in reported March new-home sales (which was in contrast to our market checks and comments from public home builders) should lead to a pop in reported April sales.”
Now let's get to the stocks.
Zillow (Z) had a great Q1 earnings call, where shares jumped from $34 to $43 over a couple of days. However, Zillow shares went into freefall over that last week, giving back most of the gains as market volatility picked up and the Facebook IPO flopped.
Zillow is a little risky here because one could argue that Zillow rose so much recently because of the Facebook IPO. So proceed with caution - risk should be pretty easy to manage here since it's trading very close to the 50 day moving average, and the chart is printing a huge hammer candlestick today. If the bulls fumble the ball on this one and can't keep the share price above the 50 day MA, have an exit strategy in place.
D.R. Horton (DHI) has held up fairly well during the turmoil in the market over the last few weeks. It's trading right in the middle of a rising channel - we expect shares to pop to $18-$19 if housing data is good and down to $15 or lower if the data is bad.
KB Home (KBH) was recently downgraded by Barclays from $15 to $10. Shares made it all the way to $13 in April before crashing back down to $7.20 today. KBH could get a quick pop on good Housing News but don't hold on to your shares for too long.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Eric Hadik on Gold, Oil, and Stocks; Sees Accelerating Crash Cycles in 2016 | Financial Sense
- PBOC Hedge Fund Battle (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Krinsky on Stock Market: Primary Trend Has Shifted to the Downside | Financial Sense
- Economics Explained (In 1 Simple Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- Gold to Beat Stocks? | Financial Sense
- Chart of the Day: Nonfarm Payrolls and Bank Tightening | Financial Sense
- "A Key Technical Indicator Just Rang The Bell On The Cyclical Bull Market" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's mother has... | Business Insider
- This is how long drugs actually stay in your system... | Business Insider
- I spent a month eating on $2 a day — here's what a typical day looked like | Business Insider
- 23 signs you're burnt out at work | Business Insider
- This jasmine green tea roll is a masterpiece served at a Korean bakery in NYC | Business Insider
- How to save all of your Snapchat stories to your phone | Business Insider
- Check out this secret warehouse full of amazing Porsches | Business Insider