How high can Netflix (NFLX) go?
Over the past 12 months Netflix Inc (NFLX) shares have traded between $44.3 and its 52-week high of $167.12. Netflix Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 65.7 and EPS of 2.47.
Shares of Netflix have nearly quadrupled in the last year. This begs the question, is Netflix a bubble that could burst any day?
Don't get me wrong, the company has a lot going for them. They recently announced news that the company expanded outside of the U.S. for the first time by offering Canadians its streaming services for $7.99 a month.
Then there is the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy by rival Blockbuster. However, the headlines today about Blockbuster’s demise are somewhat misleading.
Blockbuster’s filing for bankruptcy doesn’t state that the company will be shutting down its business. Chapter 11 implies protection from the debt and debtors essentially remain in control of the company’s operations. Blockbuster should be able to get rid of about $900 million in debt. Moreover, Blockbuster’s senior note-holders have agreed to support the restructuring plan and provide $125 million of debtor-in-possession financing to help the company operate while in bankruptcy.
Blockbuster focuses on digital distribution
It is likely that a restructured Blockbuster, largely free of debt, will be able to operate more efficiently and compete better with the likes of Netflix as it focuses more on digital distribution. The shift in Blockbuster’s strategy and greater focus may end up being detrimental to Netflix’s long-term subscriber growth.
Netflix chart just screams BUBBLE. But who knows when it will burst?
In the United States, analysts expect the company to begin closing some of its 58 distribution centers as DVD rentals decline. The company has said it is not making any more major investments in the centers.
Mr. Blackledge of Credit Suisse predicts that Netflix’s DVD business will peak in 2012 and then slowly decline. Shifting people to watching movies online will save Netflix some of the $700 million it spends annually on postage.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Morning Coffee Strategy | iBankCoin.com
- Great Graphic: Slowing of World Trade Growth and Globalization | Financial Sense
- WoRLD'S BeST CEO... | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Strategy for Wednesday | iBankCoin.com
- The Fed is Absolutely Terrified of Something… What Is It? | ZeroHedge
- Is This the Beginning of a New Bear Market? Important Signs to Watch | Financial Sense
- Why '75' Is The Most Important Number For US Economic Hope | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Business Insider's Video Team Is Hiring A Producer | Business Insider
- Here's The Crazy Diet That Explains Why Al Sharpton Is Shrinking | Business Insider
- Terrible Things Happen All Of The Time And The Stock Market Keeps Going Up | Business Insider
- THE FUTURE OF PAYMENTS: 2014 [SLIDE DECK] | Business Insider
- First Iraqi Kurdish fighters bound for Kobane arrive... | Business Insider
- This Company Is Trying To Keep Small Retailers From Getting Crushed By Amazon | Business Insider
- Wawrinka and Raonic advance at Paris Masters | Business Insider