NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bank Of Japan Shocks Market, Shuns Government Pressure: Leaves QE, Rates Unchanged, Questions Policy Effectiveness | ZeroHedge
- The Cyberwars Begin: NSA Hackers Target Russian Cyber Spies As Kremlin Says It Is Being Attacked | ZeroHedge
- No One Can Stop Her... And She Knows It: "This Election Won't Be Fair" | ZeroHedge
- Three Steps To Reverse A "Doomsday" Clock | ZeroHedge
- Big Miss on US GDP; What to Watch If Things Are Heading South | Financial Sense
- In 50 Years This Has Never Failed To Trigger A Bear Market | ZeroHedge
- One Month Later - Brexit Post-Mortem | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Venmo is expanding to more third-party apps to fend... | Business Insider
- INSTANT POLL: Hillary Clinton's convention speech was more of a hit with voters than... | Business Insider
- It’s International Tiger Day — here is everything you ever wanted to know about these... | Business Insider
- These 7 apps will transform your body — and change your life | Business Insider
- Big data tech company Talend sees its stock soar over 50% for its IPO (TLND) | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Here are the brand new kits for all 20 English Premier League clubs | Business Insider