NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Post-Taper Tantrum II: The Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- Universities Feel the Gales of Creative Destruction | Financial Sense
- ECB Unleashes (Covered) Bond Buying Program, Sovereigns Sell Off | ZeroHedge
- Do You Believe In Chinese Miracles? GDP, Industrial Production Beat; Retail Sales Miss | ZeroHedge
- Consensus Expects Year-End Rally Post 10% Market Correction | Financial Sense
- Top Scientist Warns This Version Of Ebola Looks Like "A Very Different Bug" | ZeroHedge
- Moving to a Different State May Significantly Improve Your Retirement Goals | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's What A Former Facebook Employee Learned About His 'Soul-Crushing... | Business Insider
- ROSENBERG: I've Been Through A Lot Of Crises, But Nothing Was Like... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Singer Neil Diamond digs for 'real gold' with new... | Business Insider
- Here's Exactly What To Say When Your Kid Asks, 'Are We Rich?' | Business Insider
- McDonald's Menu Is Driving Away Cash-Strapped Customers | Business Insider
- Here’s What Happened To Your Target Data That Was Hacked | Business Insider