NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CNN Lashes Out At Trump Over Vince Foster "Conspiracy", Rushes To Hillary's Defense | ZeroHedge
- Federal Reserve Accidentally Admits It Is Causing Inequality | ZeroHedge
- What the Greek Deal Does and Does Not Do | Financial Sense
- US Services PMI Tumbles, Misses By Most On Record "Dealing Blow To Q2 Rebound Hopes" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Drops, Oil Pops As Another Volumeless Buying-Frenzy Strikes Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Shootings In Chicago Are Up An Astonishing 50% From This Time Last Year | ZeroHedge
- Emerging Markets Turmoil Signal Pain Ahead For US Stocks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ice Cube paid $7.25 million for Jean-Claude Van Damme's mansion —... | Business Insider
- Here's what cocaine does to your brain and body | Business Insider
- Earth's core is 2.5 years younger than its crust due to some eerie physics... | Business Insider
- US-backed Syrian... | Business Insider
- This Italian concept electric sport bike could be recharged in 30 minutes | Business Insider
- Two-thirds of Americans think they'll outlive their savings | Business Insider
- Royal Caribbean has signed a $2.8 billion deal for 3 new ships | Business Insider