NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russia Deploys Warship Off Syrian Coast To "Destroy Any Threats To Russian Planes" | ZeroHedge
- Ex-Goldman Compliance Worker Sued By SEC For Insider Trading | ZeroHedge
- The Renminbi’s Path of Least Resistance | Financial Sense
- Out Of Gas: Gazprom Cuts Off Ukraine, Will Turkey Be Next? | ZeroHedge
- Ep. 144 – Mary Karr: How to Start Anything | Altucher Confidential
- Frontrunning: November 24 | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Personal Income for October | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Russian military jet has been shot down by Turkey on the... | Business Insider
- Woman sought for series of California wedding thefts | Business Insider
- Murray the key as Britain and Belgium contest Davis... | Business Insider
- The Latest: 22 lbs of explosives used in Tunisian bus... | Business Insider
- Sony employees' hacking suit settlement gets... | Business Insider
- Brady calls out 'Rex Ryan' as part of snap count | Business Insider
- Russia on downing of jet by Turkey: 'We have serious doubts it was an... | Business Insider