NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Events Continue to Conspire Against The Fed | Financial Sense
- Pre-Happy Birthday ‘Merica Festivities Are Underway | iBankCoin.com
- Red China Goes Redder, Stocks Tumble Despite Government Ban On Bearish Talk | ZeroHedge
- Is This Why 'Europe' Is Now Trying To Crush Greece? | ZeroHedge
- Cuba Inc. – Long Way to Go Before Opening to the Free Market | Financial Sense
- These Six States Just Raised Their Gasoline Tax | ZeroHedge
- The Perversion of Capitalism: A Credit-Based Versus Capital-Based System | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable 52-Week Highs... | StreetInsider.com
- The BBC is cutting 1,000 jobs | Business Insider
- 9 things successful people do right before bed | Business Insider
- Chinese stocks are still getting smashed despite efforts to... | Business Insider
- The Sacramento Kings — the team that just gave away a ton of assets while their best... | Business Insider
- Here's everything you need to know about Greece's... | Business Insider
- Diabetes drug helps people lose weight: study | Business Insider