NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Most Confusing Reason Why Millennials Aren't Buying Houses | ZeroHedge
- A Tale Of Two Bubbles: China vs Nasdaq | ZeroHedge
- The Future Is Served: Meet Moley the Robot Master Chef | Financial Sense
- Rotation is Underway | iBankCoin.com
- Ten Tips from Warren Buffet | ZeroHedge
- We’re Gonna Kill Them All…Next Week | iBankCoin.com
- Martin Armstrong Warns "This Time Is Very Different" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How to decide which vacation rental site to use | Business Insider
- HBO's 'Silicon Valley' took a page from Mark Cuban's... | Business Insider
- Take a look at the astonishing and otherworldly architecture being built by Central... | Business Insider
- Kristen Bell perfectly live-tweeted her awkward UberPool ride | Business Insider
- An exec at one of YouTube’s biggest networks explains one of the most baffling... | Business Insider
- England threatens to boycott the 2018... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek