NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Judge Rules DoJ Must Release Drone Killing Rationale Documents | ZeroHedge
- In "Flash Boys," Michael Lewis Misses the Point -- Deliberately | ZeroHedge
- Here Comes The Next Great Rotation: Out Of Stocks And Into Bonds | ZeroHedge
- Testosterone in the Financial Markets | ZeroHedge
- McDonalds Misses Revenue, Earnings Estimates: Blames Weather | ZeroHedge
- WTF Headline Of The Day: Tax-Cheating IRS Staff Got Bonuses | ZeroHedge
- Forget Ferrari, The $803,300 Red Flag L5 Is The New Must-Have Car In China | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- I'm No Chef, But Here's How I Made The Perfect Steak At Home | Business Insider
- GitHub Founder Resigns After Harassment Accusation,... | Business Insider
- This Amazing Video Destroys Those Awful, Patronizing Dove Ads | Business Insider
- Tim Cook Reveals His Vision For Apple In A Moving Video (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Load Up on Apple Stock as Android Killer Looms | TheStreet.com
- Bridgegate Investigators Subpoena Chris Christie's Spokesman | Business Insider