NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Rise In Traveling Hookers, Depressed Gambling, Booze Sales Bode Poorly For US Economy | ZeroHedge
- The History of 4/20 | iBankCoin.com
- Is The Credibility Bubble Bursting? | ZeroHedge
- HOW TO BECOME A JEDI KNIGHT | Altucher Confidential
- Builders Beggar Belief As Lumber Liquidation Looms | ZeroHedge
- WalMart Workers Take "Plumbing" Mystery To Labor Board | ZeroHedge
- "Surviving Or Thriving" - What Canada's 40% Surge In Meat Prices Means For Ordinary People | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 90% of male VCs assume female tech CEOs are the chick... | Business Insider
- Brazil executive says he paid $36.1 million to... | Business Insider
- Der Spiegel: An Iraqi officer under Saddam... | Business Insider
- Greece uneasy as trial opens for neo-Nazi Golden Dawn | Business Insider
- Last Gallipoli warship unravels myths of WWI disaster | Business Insider
- China cuts banks' reserve ratio requirement as... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek