NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dow Surges 650 Points Off "Dismal Jobs Data" Lows, Small Caps Up 5%! | ZeroHedge
- October Macro Update: Employment Wasn't Surprisingly Weak | Financial Sense
- Central Banks Now In "Dangerous Situation": "You've Thrown The Kitchen Sink At It, What's Next?" | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Boosts German GDP Forecast Due To "Surge In Immigration" | ZeroHedge
- Peak Manipulation: Resorting To Contradictory Headlines To Lift Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Inside A Mid-East Coup: A Closer Look At The Russia-Iran Power Play | ZeroHedge
- Why Bank of America Just Cut Its Year End S&P500 Target To 2,000 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Greinke, Dodgers top Padres 2-1 to clinch home field in... | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton's personal email server was hit by a 'drive-by' — and that... | Business Insider
- This sleek underwater drone might be your best shot at finding sunken... | Business Insider
- Pope urges prejudices be put aside at start of family... | Business Insider
- The full story of Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey is much more awesome than you... | Business Insider
- 'Li Na factor' not enough for China | Business Insider
- The least glamorous first jobs of 18 highly successful people | Business Insider