NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ukraine Bars Entry To Russian Men Aged 16-60 | ZeroHedge
- Obama And Biden Explain How Great The Economy And Stocks Are - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- EU Takes Steps Toward Energy Independence From Russia | Financial Sense
- FBI Plans To Have 52 Million Photos In Facial Recognition Database By 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Growth Rate China Slowest in 18 Months | ZeroHedge
- India’s Nuclear Energy Future at Risk in Elections | Financial Sense
- Shareholder Value: Getting Rich Slowly | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- How To Know If Someone Is Lying To You | Business Insider
- Payment Apps Are Quickly Changing How We Transfer Money To Each Other, And Around... | Business Insider
- SOCIAL INSIDER: Facebook Location... | Business Insider
- Collective CEO Joe Apprendi Tells Us When He'll Go For An IPO | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Man Convicted Of Selling $2.6 Million In Knockoff Batteries To The US Navy | Business Insider