NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CEO Hikes Minimum Wage To $70K, Capitalist Tragicomedy Ensues | ZeroHedge
- Warren Buffett and Elon Musk to Spark a Lithium Boom | Financial Sense
- Osama bin Laden Sister, Stepmother Killed In Private Jet Crash | ZeroHedge
- Is the Tide Turning? | Financial Sense
- It’s All About the Fed Today | Financial Sense
- Thoughts About Chinese Stocks, Reserves, and SDR Inclusion | Financial Sense
- US Economy Sees Substantial Increase After Weak QI, Though Still Below Average | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A college student who still uses a flip phone explains why everyone else is missing out | Business Insider
- Here's why we should be building killer robots | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett's investing acumen is demonstrated brilliantly in this... | Business Insider
- Tesla has a secret weapon to compete with other carmakers (... | Business Insider
- These 14 incredible animal photos were captured by Google Street View | Business Insider
- Martin O'Malley reveals his plan for... | Business Insider
- China's military is jangling nerves again | Business Insider