NetFlix Continues to Dominate (NFLX)
NetFlix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are trading over $230 these days and most of us are waiting to buy on a dip. This year alone NetFlix shares are up 33% and make that 120% over the past 12 months.
Today we get word that NetFlix is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71% of aggregate traffic.
The company is now planning to take over Canada.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
If for some reason you need further convincing that Netflix is taking over our lives, you only need to look at Sandvine’s latest report which shows that the video streaming company is now the biggest source of North American web traffic, accounting for 24.71 percent of aggregate traffic.
Netflix also accounts for about a third (29.70 percent, up from 21 percent last fall) of all download traffic — not surprising, since high-definition streaming is a major bandwidth hog. Netflix ended up surpassing BitTorrent for both download (10.37 percent) and aggregate Internet traffic (17.23 percent).
The traffic numbers show us that Netflix is an even more dominant force on the web than some think, and it also shows us just how quickly new markets will jump on the Netflix bandwagon.
After launching in Canada last September, Netflix managed to snag over 800,000 registered users there by the end of March 2011. Sandvine points out that number accounts for around 10 percent of Canada’s broadband households, and that Netflix traffic now consumes 13.5 percent of downstream traffic during evening peak hours in Canada.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Respecting the Message of Bob Farrell’s Rule #7 | Financial Sense
- The U.S. and Russia Are Gas Giants | Financial Sense
- Another Airplane Tragedy: Air Algerie Plane Carrying 116 Crashes Over Mali | ZeroHedge
- EU Bail-Ins Cometh As Austria Sees Bail-In | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Please Don't Blame The Fed: Alan Greenspan Says "Bubbles Are A Function Of Human Nature" | ZeroHedge
- How Iran's Supreme Leader Really Feels: "Annihilation Of The Murderous, Usurping Regime Of Israel Is The Only Cure" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- El Pollo Loco Shares Soar On Market Debut (LOCO) | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- 17 Apps Every Modern Gentleman Should Have On His Phone | Business Insider
- Billion-Dollar Startup Eventbrite Poaches The Guy Who Was In... | Business Insider
- It's Unfortunate That GM Has To Include A Slide Titled 'Second Quarter 2014 Vehicle Recall... | Business Insider
- Here’s Why Tim Cook Is Upbeat On iPads Despite Its Shrinking Sales | Business Insider