Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Argentines Stumped By Mystery Trucks Loaded With $130 Million In "High Denomination" Bills | ZeroHedge
- Matthew Mather's Darknet Shows Reality Is Not Far From Fiction | Financial Sense
- How Refugees Are Admitted Into The U.S. | ZeroHedge
- 1 Journalist Dead, 3 More Arrested After Exposing Turkey Arming Syrian Extremists | ZeroHedge
- The Bitcoin Universe Explained | ZeroHedge
- Experts See Low Oil Prices for Decades to Come as US Shale Boom Goes Global | Financial Sense
- Key Events In The Coming Very Busy Week | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 52 of the biggest stars in sports came together for a Paris tribute video | Business Insider
- Vardy breaks scoring record, City go top | Business Insider
- Wearing skinny jeans could be really bad for your health | Business Insider
- Here's how to write an email to a potential employer | Business Insider
- 'The Walking Dead' mid-season finale recreates a huge scene from the... | Business Insider
- Last Boeing C-17 leaves Southern California assembly... | Business Insider
- Pope Francis lands in capital of Central African Republic... | Business Insider