Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- UK Chancellor Osborne Breaks Silence, Fails To Calm Markets; Says In No Rush To Trigger Article 50 | ZeroHedge
- More Confusion: EU Tells Cameron To Hurry Up With Article 50 As Merkel Says No Need To Rush | ZeroHedge
- Richmond Fed Dead-Cat-Bounce Crashes To 3-Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- Congressman: Only Politicians Need Firearms For Protection | ZeroHedge
- Move Over Oil – Lithium Is the Future of Transportation | Financial Sense
- The End Game Of Bubble Finance - Political Revolt | ZeroHedge
- Kremlin: Brexit Is Like Soviet Breakup | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- American Express is getting into one of the hottest trends in... | Business Insider
- Nobody won more college basketball games than Pat Summitt | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- The truth about car hacking is scarier than we realized | Business Insider
- You'll need an expensive TV for the new PlayStation 4 and Xbox One... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- 'Dance Moms' star pleads guilty to tax... | Business Insider