Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ebola Suspect Tested In California: Statements From Kaiser Permanente And Dept Of Public Health | ZeroHedge
- Q2 Earnings Success - Will It Stick Around? | Financial Sense
- QE Will Come to the Eurozone – and, Like Elsewhere, It Will Be a Failure | Financial Sense
- Ignorance Is (Still) Bliss | ZeroHedge
- Market Trends Still Bullish | Financial Sense
- All That Is Wrong With US Foreign Policy In One Tweet | ZeroHedge
- Under What Conditions Can The US Army Engage Citizens: The Army's "Civil Disturbances" Primer | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CHART OF THE DAY: Here’s How Google’s Stock Has Changed Over The... | Business Insider
- One Big Question Surrounds The Murder Of US Journalist James Foley By ISIS | Business Insider
- The Cities Where The Most Billionaires Were Born | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Leaked: Details Of Google's Attempt To Get You To Pay For YouTube | Business Insider
- Some Of The World's Brightest Minds Are Meeting This Week To Solve A Huge Puzzle In... | Business Insider
- Boys Learn More About Money Than Girls | Business Insider