Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Threat Of Cyber War – “Other Reason To Own Physical Gold” – Rickards | ZeroHedge
- US Economy Grew Less Than Expected In Q2: Worst Economic Recovery Since WWII Revised Even Weaker | ZeroHedge
- "Say A Little Prayer" Bill Gross Warns, "Zombie Corporations Now Roam The Real Economy" | ZeroHedge
- Russell Napier: What Happens When Markets Realize China Is A Forced Seller Of Treasuries | ZeroHedge
- Banks Squirm As Congress Moves To Cut The 6% Dividend Paid To Them By The Fed | ZeroHedge
- New York Mayor de Blasio Demands A Federal Bailout For Puerto Rico | ZeroHedge
- Does This Look Like An Accidental Relationship To You? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How America's biggest companies are intimately... | Business Insider
- GOP governor sends bizarre, aggressive hand-written letter to constituent | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics | Business Insider
- Refugees live in fear of German anti-foreigner protests | Business Insider
- A giant panda 'faked pregnancy' to get better treatment... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 7/29: (CYT) (TJX) | StreetInsider.com