Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Crude Bounces After Oil Rig Count Decline Slows | ZeroHedge
- Ahoy, Polloi | Financial Sense
- "Peak" Clinton? | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: What's Really Burning In Baltimore - 50 Years Of Liberal Welfare State Policies | ZeroHedge
- "Hedge!!" | ZeroHedge
- Uber Offices Raided In China After "Illegal Operator" Crackdown | ZeroHedge
- Filipinos Asked To Turn Off Fridges To Save Power For Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These photos Apple's first employees showed us from the company's... | Business Insider
- Federer battles past Gimeno-Traver to Istanbul semis | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- 21 mouthwatering photos of authentic Mexican food | Business Insider
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' had a huge $187 million weekend — but it didn... | Business Insider
- Here's why Instagram demographics are so attractive to brands | Business Insider
- Red tape delays Nepal quake disaster aid | Business Insider