Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- France: Paris Attack Shakes up Presidential Race | Financial Sense
- Meet The Real Emmanuel Macron: Consummate Banker Puppet, Bizarre Elitist Creation | ZeroHedge
- China's First Home Made Aircraft Carrier Is Ready For Launch | ZeroHedge
- US To Test Fire ICBM Tonight That Can Reach North Korea | ZeroHedge
- Gas Prices In North Korea Shoot Up 83% As China Mulls Oil Embargo | Financial Sense
- Sudden Death For Greek Widows' Pensions: New Criteria, Cuts To Push 1000s More Into Poverty | ZeroHedge
- "Don't Open It" - 9 Mexican States On Alert After Radioactive Material Stolen | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Get a rare deal on Philips Hue bulbs — and more of today's best deals from... | Business Insider
- A fund manager with $13.6 billion in assets shares his simple strategy... | Business Insider
- John Kasich: The one campaign promise Republicans 'ought not to fulfill' is on... | Business Insider
- Court says Uber exec's Fifth Amendment... | Business Insider
- Baby lambs survived for weeks in an artificial womb — and the technology... | Business Insider
- These durable charging cables might be the last ones you ever need to buy | Business Insider
- LuLaRoe is refunding everyone for pants that customers say 'rip... | Business Insider