Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- BEHOLD: THE CENTURY OLD DOW THEORY SIGNAL HAS BEEN TRIGGERED | ZeroHedge
- The Aftermath of the US Election And Its Implications Moving Forward | Financial Sense
- JPM's Quant Wizard Returns To The Dark Side, Warns Of Coming "Market Turmoil" | ZeroHedge
- Are Fiscal Stimulus Expectations Too High? | Financial Sense
- What Has Gone Wrong With Oil Prices, Debt, & GDP Growth? | ZeroHedge
- "Panicked" Citi Trader "Who Fired Off Repeated Sell Orders" Behind Pound Flash Crash | ZeroHedge
- Technical Risk Management Rules (Video) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- LeBron James was so bored against the Knicks he was doing the water-bottle... | Business Insider
- THE APP ENGAGEMENT REPORT: The tools and tactics brands, marketers, and app... | Business Insider
- Military leaders are trying to fix the lengthy process... | Business Insider
- Israel could become a counterterrorism training hub for countries worried about... | Business Insider
- The idea for Google's huge reorg came out of a secret... | Business Insider
- 'El Chapo' Guzmán's henchmen were able to build not one, but 2... | Business Insider
- Mexican defense minister: It's '... | Business Insider