Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obamacare Is Supposed To Sign Up 7 Million By March - 365,000 So Far | ZeroHedge
- World's Largest Hedge Fund Uses Twitter For Real-Time Economic Modeling | ZeroHedge
- Who Makes The Most Money? And How They Do It | ZeroHedge
- BP Pushing the Limits of Technology to Develop Ultra-Deep Fields | Financial Sense
- Almost There | iBankCoin.com
- Potential Danger Signal | Financial Sense
- Italy's "Pitchfork Movement" Mapped | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Breaking Bad' Editor Creates Ice Skating Tribute To The Show | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Jeff Gundlach Takes A Contrarian Stance On Fed Policy And Makes The Case For EM Bonds... | Business Insider
- This Is What Happens When Conan And Ice Cube Book A Lyft Car | Business Insider
- Uruguay Is Facing Down The UN Over The Future Of Drug Laws | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: GM's New Paradigm-Shifting CEO;... | StreetInsider.com