Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Expands Live-Fire Gulf Of Tonkin Drill; Warns Of Massive Flight Disruptions | ZeroHedge
- How BRICS’ New Bank Will Challenge the West | Financial Sense
- Winding Roads | iBankCoin.com
- John Hussman: "Make No Mistake - This Is An Equity Bubble, And A Highly Advanced One" | ZeroHedge
- Japanese Unemployment Jumps To Worst In 2014 As Household Spending & Retail Sales Drop For 3rd Month | ZeroHedge
- By Any Means Necessary | iBankCoin.com
- Is Hong Kong-US Dollar Link About To End? HKMA Buys $715 Million To Support Peg | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Multiple News Sites Publish Corrections After Falling For Fake Story... | Business Insider
- Two Former Amazon Executives Raise $1 Billion To Kill Amazon In India | Business Insider
- Afghanistan Is Awash In Tens Of Thousands Of Unaccountable US Weapons | Business Insider
- The Weekend Is Over And Stocks Are Falling | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know This Morning (TWTR) | Business Insider
- Dodge Could Be Building The Most Powerful Sedan Ever | Business Insider