Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- Can The Petrodollar Survive Low Interest Rates? | ZeroHedge
- Bubble Forming With Leveraged Buyouts | Financial Sense
- Goldman's Take On China's "Stealth QE" | ZeroHedge
- Markets React Violently To China's Stealth QE | ZeroHedge
- This Russian Trend Is Not Europe's Friend | ZeroHedge
- FOMC Keeps "Considerable" Wealth Effect Dream Alive, More See First Hike In 2015; Two Dissent - Full Statement Comparison | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CHART OF THE DAY: Netflix's Brilliant... | Business Insider
- Argentina summons US diplomat over 'default' comment | Business Insider
- Remember The Commodity Bubble That Exploded In 2011? (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT, MCP) | Business Insider
- Olive Garden's Advertised Menu Items Vs. Reality | Business Insider
- Men With More Feminine Facial Features Could Lose Out At The Negotiating Table... | Business Insider
- DOW GAINS 100: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT, IWM, MCP, AAPL, TSLA) | Business Insider
- Branson On Scotland: 'We'll Still Party Together' | Business Insider