Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Transaction Fee Might Save Capital Markets... & Protect Us From Skynet! | Financial Sense
- So, It Seems Like That Andreesen Dude Might Actually Know What He's Talking About, But I'll Still Spill His Secrets | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Liberty Movement Rising | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: April 17 | ZeroHedge
- Growth Rate China Slowest in 18 Months | ZeroHedge
- So Much For The De-escalation? Kiev Says Military Operation In East Ukraine To Continue | ZeroHedge
- Shareholder Value: Getting Rich Slowly | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Infants Are Unable To Play With Building... | Business Insider
- Top Tech And Business 'Thought Leaders... | Business Insider
- STOCKS GO NOWHERE: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, GS, MS, CMG) | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- CHART: NBA Tops All Sports Leagues With Highest Average Salary For Players | Business Insider
- 4 Core Beliefs Of Successful People | Business Insider
- Here's What Yahoo's Marissa Mayer Earned Last Year | Business Insider