Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- If You Think Cultural Fragmentation Is Bad Now... | ZeroHedge
- Beyond The Minsky Moment: China's Ponzi Schemes Are Now Investing In Other Ponzi Schemes | ZeroHedge
- Charles Bolin's Detailed Investment Outlook - Market Topping, Economic Data in Decline | Financial Sense
- Senators Slam Loretta Lynch: End The Climate Change Witch Hunt | ZeroHedge
- Cuddling and Egg McMuffins Show Economic Slowdown Underway | Financial Sense
- Opportunity Amongst The Entrails Of European Banks | ZeroHedge
- Trickle-Down Crash? Trophy Assets Suddenly Tanking | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- RANKED: The 10 new TV shows that people are most excited about | Business Insider
- Stop telling people there's a dot in your Gmail address — it doesn't... | Business Insider
- 5 important things you probably missed on this week's 'Game of... | Business Insider
- Chinese parents are turning to a previously taboo... | Business Insider
- 29 words and phrases you're using at work that make... | Business Insider
- GOLDMAN SACHS: This is the market's biggest fear | Business Insider
- Overdoses from legal drugs are exploding — and a new plan to curb the... | Business Insider