Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "It’s A Lot More Negative Than People Think" - China Beige Book Issues Stark Warning About The Economy | ZeroHedge
- Madness Swirls At House Judiciary Committee As Comey Attempts To Justify Hillary Innocence | ZeroHedge
- Secret Swiss Military Bunkers Being Filled With Gold By Billionaires Seeking "Alternatives To Bank Deposits" | ZeroHedge
- Pay Attention to How Oil Reacts the Day After OPEC News (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Pain Spreads To Germany's Second Biggest Bank: Commerzbank Scraps Dividend, Fires 20% Of Workforce | ZeroHedge
- Satellite Imagery Reveals China's Strategic Petroleum Reserve Is Vastly Greater Than Disclosed | ZeroHedge
- You Want To Fix The Economy? Then First Fix Healthcare | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A black 17-year-old reported his stolen car using LoJack ... and... | Business Insider
- Snapchat clone Snow lands $45 million from Japanese messaging giant Line | Business Insider
- Samantha Bee says Trump 'just lumbered' right... | Business Insider
- The 11 best tricks to turn yourself into a morning person | Business Insider
- This side-by-side comparison shows how many ads are in Google search results (GOOG... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump is resurfacing an old rumor that Google hides... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek