Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 19 US Shale Areas That Are Suddenly Endangered, "The Shale Revolution Doesn't Work At $80" | ZeroHedge
- Here Comes France: Right-Wing Leader Marine Le Pen Demands Central Bank Repatriate French Gold | ZeroHedge
- Russia Might Be Forced to Cut Oil Production | Financial Sense
- How The World's Most Leveraged Hedge Fund Got Away With Insider Trading | ZeroHedge
- I Bought The $HABT | iBankCoin.com
- Forget Ferguson, 244 Teenagers Have Been Shot In Chicago Since Michael Brown Died | ZeroHedge
- Most Indirect Bidders For 7 Year Paper Since US Downgrade Means Lowest Yield In Over A Year | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here Are The Best States For Turkey Jobs | Business Insider
- In Ferguson, blacks say racial bias is fact of life | Business Insider
- 19 Of The Most Expensive Substances In The World | Business Insider
- Putin Just Tightened His Control Of The East Black Sea | Business Insider
- Apple Is Being Pressured To 'Set A... | Business Insider
- New Home Sales Climb | Business Insider
- REPORT: Twitter Is Thinking About Buying A Startup Backed By Justin Bieber (TWTR... | Business Insider