Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Clinton Struggles To Contain WikiLeaks Damage As Voters Grow Weary Of The Constant Scandals | ZeroHedge
- Putin Tried To Warn Us About Syria Three Years Ago, But Nobody Listened | ZeroHedge
- Secretary Of State Joe Biden? | ZeroHedge
- ObamaCare Architect Admits "The Law Is Working As Designed" As Premiums Spike | ZeroHedge
- Putin Warns "US Has Pushed Russia Back Into Nuclear Arms Race" | ZeroHedge
- BaNaNa RePuBLiK... | ZeroHedge
- Paul Craig Roberts: "Putin's Nukes Could Wipe Out Entire American East Coast" In Minutes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The surprising first jobs of 17 US presidents | Business Insider
- 19 psychological tricks that will help you ace a job interview | Business Insider
- Megyn Kelly's contract negotiations at Fox News have now spilled into public... | Business Insider
- What all the gratuitous violence in 'The Walking Dead'... | Business Insider
- The MacBook Pro is going to be the best Mac for most people (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Nintendo Switch is its most traditional console in 15 years — and that's a... | Business Insider
- Syrian ISIS suspect charged with scouting Berlin attack... | Business Insider