Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Prices 'Somewhat Bearish' After Short-Covering Rally | Financial Sense
- Fischer: Fed Going From “Ultra Expansionary” to “Extremely Expansionary” | Financial Sense
- Germanwings Co-Pilot Head Been Treated For "Suicidal Tendencies" In The Past | ZeroHedge
- What’s REALLY Going On In Yemen | ZeroHedge
- Gentlemen of Extreme Measures: The Best Month of the Year Approaches | iBankCoin.com
- Big Brother Is Here: Facebook Reveals Its Master Plan - Control All News Flow | ZeroHedge
- Texas Town First of Many to Switch to 100% Renewable Power | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Sallie Krawcheck reveals an incredibly useful Southern phrase... | Business Insider
- San Francisco's top 5% of earners blow the rest of the country... | Business Insider
- Philips to sell major stake in LED, car lighting arm... | Business Insider
- What it's like to use Tidal, the Spotify killer that Jay Z just... | Business Insider
- Scotland coast to Gibraltar win | Business Insider
- Jihadist chief killed in Tunisia as thousands march | Business Insider
- There's a simple reason why this top global CEO constantly posts photos on Instagram | Business Insider