Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chart Of The Day: Souring "Mother's Milk" Edition | ZeroHedge
- Remembering The Currency Wars Of The 1920s & 1930s (And Central Banks' "Overused Bag Of Tricks") | ZeroHedge
- On Money and Society: An Exclusive Interview With Steve Baker MP | Financial Sense
- The ECB Blinked, And Gold Once Again Proves To Be a Wealth-Saver | ZeroHedge
- Davos – The Arrogance Of Officialdom | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: The ABC's Of The ECB's QE | ZeroHedge
- FiRST We TaKe MaNHaTTaN... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chelsea boss Mourinho plays down quadruple talk | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- REDEMPTION! This 29-Year-Old Is Worth Over $94 Million After (Finally) Taking His... | Business Insider
- Seventy years on, a 'Soviet' liberator of... | Business Insider
- The World's Most Accurate Apple Analyst Is Predicting Mind-Melting iPhone Sales (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Successful Marriages And Employer-Employee Relationships Share This... | Business Insider
- Sensation as Chelsea, Man City humbled in FA Cup | Business Insider