Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- This Has Never Happened Before Without A Massive Bubble Bursting | ZeroHedge
- Is It About To Get Worse? Lakeland Hazmat Suit Orders Go Exponential, Surpass 1 Million | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Cuts 2015, 2016 EPS Forecasts On "Diminished Global GDP Growth" Just As Fed Surprises With Hawkish Outlook | ZeroHedge
- The “New Normal” in EM Ex-China | Financial Sense
- Every Bond Bear's Worst Nightmare In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
- Santelli Slams The Fed As "Weak-Data"-Dependent; Lacy Hunt Warns "We're Not On The Right Path" | ZeroHedge
- US Taxpayers Pay For SEC To Arrange Early Release Of Data To HFTs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- The 30 Most Influential LGBT People In Tech | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- OBAMA ON EBOLA: 'This Disease Can Be Contained, It Will Be Defeated' | Business Insider
- Hitachi profit nearly triples, raises full-year forecast | Business Insider
- The IRS Can Seize Tons Of Your Cash If You Deposit It The Wrong Way | Business Insider
- What Some Of Google's Most Elite, Entrepreneurial Employees Are Doing Now (GOOG... | Business Insider