Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Biggest Short Squeeze In 38 Months Sparks Stocks Triple-Decouple | ZeroHedge
- Deciphering Yellen's Rub-Goldbergian Message | ZeroHedge
- Mish’s Take: What’s Behind the Plunge in Oil? Boon to Spending or Recessionary? | Financial Sense
- Just One Question About Yesterday's Last Minute "Berserk ETF" Freak Out | ZeroHedge
- Previewing 2015... And 2014, And 2013, And 2012, And 2011, And 2010 | ZeroHedge
- ObamaCar: Automobile Insurance Subsidized Hope Act | ZeroHedge
- Does Russia Present a Systemic Threat to Global Markets? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google Just Filed A Lawsuit Against Mississippi'... | Business Insider
- YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki Explains Why Everyone Should Get Paid... | Business Insider
- Obama On Sony Hack: People Should 'Go To The Movies' | Business Insider
- Russians Are Flooding Out Of London's... | Business Insider
- Here Are All The Major Crises Russia Has Seen Over The Last 150 Years | Business Insider
- BitTorrent Really Wants To Circulate 'The Interview' | Business Insider
- The Cure For Syphilis Was Developed As... | Business Insider