Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greferendum Results In Landslide "No" Victory | ZeroHedge
- Copper Crashes, In Danger Of Breaching 15-Year Support Level | ZeroHedge
- S&P Futures Tumble 1.5% At Open: ES Down 33, Brent Under $60 | ZeroHedge
- Events Continue to Conspire Against The Fed | Financial Sense
- Piketty: "Germany Has Never Repaid Its Debts; It Has No Standing To Lecture Other Nations" | ZeroHedge
- Bitcoin Surges After Initial Forecasts Show "No" Vote Ahead | ZeroHedge
- Russia Celebrates Independence Day By Flying Strategic Bombers 200 Miles Off California Coast | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Euro spikes after Yanis Varoufakis resigns | Business Insider
- McIlroy ruptures ankle ligament ahead of Open | Business Insider
- Coke has removed the logos from its packaging in the Middle East... | Business Insider
- I ditched Spotify to use Apple Music — and I don't miss it (AAPL) | Business Insider
- There was a rain delay at the World Series of Poker | Business Insider
- Sheryl Sandberg joins the board of SurveyMonkey, where her late... | Business Insider
- THE TRUMP 5: Meet the fabulous offspring of GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump | Business Insider