Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Just 3 Charts | ZeroHedge
- Norway Builds A Wall, Because Migrants | ZeroHedge
- Hershey Plunges After Mondelez Pulls Offer To Buy Company | ZeroHedge
- US Slams Turkish Bombing Of American Coalition Partners As "Unacceptable And A Source Of Deep Concern" | ZeroHedge
- "If This Does Not Disqualify Hillary For The Presidency, It's Hard To Know What Will" | ZeroHedge
- Don't Think Armageddon, Think "A Thousand Balls Of Flame... And Then Crickets!" | ZeroHedge
- Obama's Parting Gift: $20 Trillion In Public Debt And A Rising Budget Deficit | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's a super-quick guide to what traders are talking about right... | Business Insider
- ANN COULTER: This is why the presidential debates will be... | Business Insider
- China's walking a tight rope between politics and... | Business Insider
- Trump on Kaepernick: 'Maybe he should find a country that works better for him... | Business Insider
- Fintech could be bigger than ATMs, PayPal,... | Business Insider
- Trump slammed over tweets about the death of Dwyane Wade’s cousin... | Business Insider
- Scientists uncovered a 66.3-million-year-old dinosaur... | Business Insider