Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bank Of America Admits The U.S. May Already Be In A Recession | ZeroHedge
- The American Dream Is Dead (And Now Even The Mainstream Media Is Starting To Admit It) | ZeroHedge
- 10-Year Old Austrian Boy Raped By Iraqi Refugee Due To "Sexual Emergency" | ZeroHedge
- An Exasperated John Kerry Throws In Towel On Syria: "What Do You Want Me To Do, Go To War With The Russians?!" | ZeroHedge
- Why Europe's Great Experiment Is Failing | Financial Sense
- Video Shows Tens Of Thousands Massing At Turkey Border As Russia, Iran Bear Down On Key Syrian City | ZeroHedge
- Anti-Refugee Rallies Sweep Europe As Nationalists Declare "We Will Not Surrender Europe To Islam" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Tea Party is throwing a fit over Obama's proposed budget | Business Insider
- Here's the evidence that you get what you pay for when investing in hedge funds | Business Insider
- I watched all 49 Super Bowl games in 49 days — here's what I learned about America... | Business Insider
- THE NEW RETAIL: The top trends... | Business Insider
- Bernie Sanders joined Larry David on SNL for a hilarious sketch... | Business Insider
- Here's why it's okay to take a cheat day... | Business Insider
- NATO is planning... | Business Insider