Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- McCain: "The New World Order Is Under Enormous Strain" | ZeroHedge
- Russophobia - Symptom Of US Implosion | ZeroHedge
- The Evidence That Russia Hacked The DNC Is Collapsing | ZeroHedge
- Crude Inventory Build Sends Oil Prices Into a Nosedive | Financial Sense
- Scientists Warn That The Coming California Megaquake Could Plunge Large Portions Of The State Into The Ocean | ZeroHedge
- China Bans Buying Of Hong Kong Property On Credit Cards | ZeroHedge
- Bill Maher Shuts Down Conspiracy Theorist Louise Mensch And MSNBC’s Chris Hayes Over Islam – Twice! | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How Rebecca Ferguson went from 'Mission: Impossible' scene-stealer to the star... | Business Insider
- Federal inspector general launches... | Business Insider
- Everybody's flying to the moon | Business Insider
- The world's largest hedge fund just published... | Business Insider
- Mark Cuban is getting more serious than ever about politics — and in the age of Trump, the... | Business Insider
- The laptop ban on flights is a giant middle finger to business travelers | Business Insider
- A Stanford engineer is making stretchable, flexible skin that's... | Business Insider