Is JC Penny's new CEO really a good bet?
Keep reading to find out if Ron's plans for JC Penny's (JCP) will end up in a Michael Jackson or Tito-like collaboration.
Let's take a look at what Mr. Johnson has done so far for Penny's:
Simple Pricing - Penney's will use whole numbers more often when pricing items. In other words, you won't see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $20.
Everyday Pricing - Permanently marking down all merchandise by at least 40% so shoppers will no longer have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices in its stores.
Fewer Sales - The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a "Monthly Value."
New advertising - JC Penny's has brought on Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres to help give a "fresh face" to JC Penny's.
Mastery Bottom Line:
We're not impressed. Our opinion is all the gimmicks in the world won't help JC Penny's in the short term. There is a big difference between selling genius products envisioned and built by Steve Jobs than selling Dockers and Levi's. And Martha Stewart and Ellen DeGeneres, really?
With a P/E of 54, JCP is extremely overpriced at these levels. Who knows, maybe Ron will turn things around a couple years down the road, but in the short term, JCP is ripe for a short. The April $40 Puts are trading at $1.90 right now - if JCP misses and guides down, shares could easily fall back to the low $30's. Just look at the trend of their earnings.
Q3 2011: -$143M
Q2 2011: $14M
Q1 2011: $64M
Q4 2010: $271M
JCP reports this Friday with a consensus estimate of .67 cents per share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Saxo Warns Further Upside For Crude Hard To Achieve After Market "Change Of Focus" | ZeroHedge
- FBI Interviews Clinton's Top Personal Aide As Email Investigation Heats Up | ZeroHedge
- Pro-Brexit Leader Jokes "Keep Sending Obama Over" After Surge In Polls | ZeroHedge
- Large Truck Orders Continue To Plunge, Down 39% In April | ZeroHedge
- Stunning Images Of Ramadi Show The Devastating Impact Of War | ZeroHedge
- "I Can Only Say I'm Sorry" - Self-Professed Bitcoin "Creator" Can't Provide Proof, Backs Out | ZeroHedge
- Sell in May and Pray? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jimmy Fallon's Donald Trump calls Obama to gloat about his latest wins | Business Insider
- This 90-year-old homeless woman befriended Hollywood stars, and it changed her life... | Business Insider
- This 26-year-old actor was just cast as the young Han Solo in a 'Star... | Business Insider
- Google wants all its self-driving cars to clean themselves — here's why (... | Business Insider
- Africa's largest oil producer just took another huge blow to its... | Business Insider
- California just raised the legal smoking age from 18 to 21 | Business Insider
- Listeria outbreak triggers massive recall of frozen food at Trader Joe... | Business Insider