Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Deutsche Bank Poses The Greatest Risk To The Global Financial System": IMF | ZeroHedge
- Scotland Is About To Have Its Own Currency And Much More: How JPM Sees Brexit Playing Out | ZeroHedge
- The Rise Of An Investing Legend: Mikael Syding | ZeroHedge
- After Three Years, This Remains The Best Trading Strategy | ZeroHedge
- One American's True Story: "How I Went From Middle Class To Homeless" | ZeroHedge
- Brexit: What to Expect After the EU-UK Membership Vote | Financial Sense
- Meanwhile On Times Square, Naked Man Taunts Cops; Demands To Speak With Donald Trump | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- WPP's GroupM claims in a lawsuit that auditing company FirmDecisions is '... | Business Insider
- Why Lena Dunham thinks Kanye's new video is 'disturbing... | Business Insider
- On Thursday, Google will begin using the fastest undersea cable ever built (GOOG... | Business Insider
- The top 5 fintech predictions for 2016 | Business Insider
- Report: Dwyane Wade and the Heat are feuding over a new contract again... | Business Insider
- 27 annoying words on your résumé that make hiring managers cringe | Business Insider
- Here are the 5 best hammers you can buy right now | Business Insider