Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Services PMI Beats After Last Week's Manufacturing PMI Record Miss, Employment Plunges | ZeroHedge
- Five Stocks Playfully Damaging Bears | iBankCoin.com
- Friends Don’t Let Friends Buy Junk | iBankCoin.com
- LOCO IPO Soars To Insane 20x EBITDA Multiple | ZeroHedge
- Monday Humor: What "The Smartest People In The Room" Are Thinking | ZeroHedge
- Escaping The Rat-Race | ZeroHedge
- World Oil Production – Where Are We Headed? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Big Mac index: A basket of sliders | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- 21 Stunning Photos Taken By A 15-Year-Old Instagram Photographer | Business Insider
- Israel's Most Internationally Recognized Writer Warns Freedom Of Speech... | Business Insider
- Here's Why 'The Internet Of Things' Will Be Huge, And Drive... | Business Insider
- Bog Snorkeling Is The Strangest Sport You've Never Heard Of [PHOTOS] | Business Insider
- Peter Jackson Walked Through San Diego Comic-Con As A Jester And No One... | Business Insider