Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Executive Order From Trump Will Change The US Commodity Sector | ZeroHedge
- 2017 Second-Quarter Forecast | Financial Sense
- Confronting Russophobia | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Stocks, Bonds, Commodities Shun Global Euphoria Amid Government Leverage Crackdown | ZeroHedge
- To Frexit or Not to Frexit, Report 23 April, 2017 | ZeroHedge
- A Delighted Wall Street Reacts To The French Election | ZeroHedge
- Yale Psychiatrists Just Warned There Is Something Seriously Wrong With Trump | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Sean Hannity: Sexual harrassement charges against O'... | Business Insider
- CREDIT SUISSE: JCPenney is finally responding to the death of brick-and-mortar retail | Business Insider
- More than 100 people arrested in Paris after violent... | Business Insider
- New technology could change the way the stock market operates... | Business Insider
- America has an internet problem — but a radical change could solve... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Mexico's unrelenting violence is climbing to new highs | Business Insider