Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ADP Rises To Highest Since 2014 Despite Challenger Job Cuts' Surge To Highest Since 2010 | ZeroHedge
- Global Debt Time Bomb Ticks – Puerto Rico Is Next | ZeroHedge
- Algos Sell The "Leap Second" Rip | ZeroHedge
- The Mood On The Ground In Greece: "Some Have Raised The Prospect Of Civil War" | ZeroHedge
- Mainstream Economists Just Don’t Get it: Bank of America Merrill Lynch Edition | Financial Sense
- Fred Hickey - Ask The Expert - High Tech Stocks to Gold | ZeroHedge
- Deadlines Come and Go, Markets Endure | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Small investment banks are killing the big banks (GS, MS) | Business Insider
- Wimbledon heat on Djokovic, Serena, Sharapova | Business Insider
- Airline stocks are getting crushed (JBLU, DAL... | Business Insider
- A nearby black hole just erupted for the first time in 26 years and scientists are... | Business Insider
- Retailers are launching a new generation of e-commerce membership programs modeled on '... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek