Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Inflation Pressures in Core Food Components | ZeroHedge
- Scotland Is Building the World’s Largest Tidal Array | Financial Sense
- Deflationary Fears Are Spreading Globally | Financial Sense
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Shadow Banking | Financial Sense
- Goldman's Special Purpose Tentacle Revealed In Europe's Latest Bank Failure | ZeroHedge
- Employers Aren’t Just Whining: The “Skills Gap” Is Real | Financial Sense
- Sunday Matinee at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Here's The Difference Between Biotech Bubbles And Bubbles That Actually Matter... | Business Insider
- Mexico investigates huge fish kill in lagoon | Business Insider
- Wozniacki sends Sharapova out of US Open, Federer... | Business Insider
- The Last Known Passenger Pigeon Died 100 Year Ago Today — Here Are 9 Other Animals That... | Business Insider
- What ABC’s 30-Year-Old ESPN Purchase Teaches Us About Twitch | TheStreet.com
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider