Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- nOPEC | iBankCoin.com
- Are Low Rates Responsible for High Valuations | Financial Sense
- Ferguson In Flames, Shots Fired, Police Car Destroyed, Tear-Gas Deployed, Looting; NYC Brooklyn & Triborough Bridge & LA Freeways Blocked | ZeroHedge
- US Stocks Surge To 'Best' Streak In 86 years | ZeroHedge
- Dallas Fed Unchanged in November, Despite 11 Of 15 Components Declining | ZeroHedge
- Global Business Confidence Collapses To Post-Lehman Lows | ZeroHedge
- "Britain Is In The Wrong Place," Daniel Hannan Blasts "The World Economy Has Left Europe Behind" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CRUDE OIL FALLS TO $74 (USO) | Business Insider
- How To Stop People From Being Able To See That You Read Their Facebook... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Apple Will Sell 72 Million iPhones — But Then See A Massive Drop In Demand... | Business Insider
- Incredibly Frank Relationships Are The Secret To Building An Empire, Says Lou... | Business Insider
- Keurig's New Coffee Machine Got A Ton Of Hype, But Customers Seem To Hate It | Business Insider
- North Korea Just Rejected A UN Human Rights Resolution And Threw A... | Business Insider