Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Breakout in Bond Yields Foreshadows Possible Economic Acceleration | Financial Sense
- Rainy-Day Economics… | ZeroHedge
- Following 20% Move Higher In Two Days, Herbalife Shorts Are Sweating | ZeroHedge
- Global Assured Destruction, Or How Bernanke Now Holds The Entire World Hostage | ZeroHedge
- Four Signs That We're Back In Dangerous Bubble Territory | ZeroHedge
- All Japan, All the Time | Financial Sense
- A Day in the Life of Le Fly | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Bethenny Frankel Launched A Major Drinking Trend In Restaurants Around America | Business Insider
- Yahoo Investors Don't Care About Risky Tumblr Bet Even If Yahoo 'Drives Tumblr Into... | Business Insider
- The Stock Market Needs Revenue Growth More Than Ever, But Things Aren't Looking Good | Business Insider
- We Helped Race A 40-Foot Yacht Around New York City [PICTURES] | Business Insider
- Cramer's Top Stock Picks: HD WFM EBAY GE | TheStreet.com
- 5 Mobile Payments Data Points That Will Blow Your Mind | Business Insider
- Wolf Blitzer To Tornado Survivor: You Got To Thank The Lord.... | Business Insider