Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China’s New Investment Bank: A Premature Prophecy | Financial Sense
- Capital Controls Arrive: Greece Begins Confiscating Deposits Of "Small Debtors" | ZeroHedge
- Overview Of Our Energy Modeling Problem | ZeroHedge
- Chart Of The Day: Who Is Buying? | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Gets Cold Feet:"It Is Difficult To Predict How Negative The Market Reaction To Grexit Would Be" | ZeroHedge
- How The Fed Creates Zombies In One Simple Flow Chart | ZeroHedge
- New Highs To Nowhere On Nothing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What does the internet 'look' like? 17 pictures that show how people visualize it | Business Insider
- The amazing story of the team of... | Business Insider
- Get ready for a busy week in the economy — Here's your complete preview | Business Insider
- A former top adviser destroyed Obama's Iraq policy in one sentence | Business Insider
- The market is getting nervous about something experts are struggling to define | Business Insider
- Look at how similar red-hot Chinese startup Xiaomi... | Business Insider
- 9 ways Google’s smartwatches are better than the Apple Watch (AAPL, GOOG) | Business Insider