Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- NSA Whistleblower: US Intelligence Worker Likely Behind DNC Leaks, Not Russia | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Are Not Long Term Investment Vehicles (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Leaked Soros Memo Exposes Obama's Secret TPP Negotiations; Hillary "Flip-Flopping" | ZeroHedge
- Prepare For The Unthinkable | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela Braces For Revolution After Maduro Blocks Recall Referendum | ZeroHedge
- "Fiat Money Quantity" & $11,000 Gold | ZeroHedge
- Walls, Going Viral | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The fintech ecosystem explained | Business Insider
- 11 apps you should use every day | Business Insider
- AT&T is buying Time Warner for $85 billion (T, TWX) | Business Insider
- How much a 20-something needs to save every month to retire with $5 million | Business Insider
- There's a good reason why you're not allowed to take photos... | Business Insider
- Forget the F-35, the Air Force and Navy are working on a 6th generation fighter | Business Insider
- Hundreds of people walked out of an Amy Schumer comedy show... | Business Insider