Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Could Reverse the Global Market Decline? | Financial Sense
- Presenting A First-Hand Look Inside Russia's Forward Operating Base In Syria | ZeroHedge
- Stock Market Reaches Key Post-Crash Milestone | ZeroHedge
- Russia Says Syria Air Raids To Last "3-4 Months" As Moscow Releases New Videos Of Strikes | ZeroHedge
- Participation Rate Crashes To October 1977 Level: Americans Not In The Labor Force Soar By 579,000 To Record 94.6 Million | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Politicians Are Asked About Saudi Atrocities... Here's What Happened Next | ZeroHedge
- "Everyone Is Doing It": How Carmakers Manipulate Emissions Test Results | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- LinkedIn might have to pay you money for spamming your email contacts | Business Insider
- Here's what Macy's idea of a millennial wonderland looks like | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- I tried an unlimited blowout startup called Vive, and it's... | Business Insider
- O.J. Simpson was acquitted... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Bush: New guns laws aren't right reaction to mass... | Business Insider