Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Are The Odds That The 2020-2022 Olympics Will Be Cancelled? | ZeroHedge
- Turkish Tanks Enter Syria As Part Of "Anti-ISIS" Operation | ZeroHedge
- The Current Gold and Silver Price Downtrend Will Prove to be Just a Temporary Lull in a Continuing Uptrend, Part 2. | ZeroHedge
- Facing Reality | ZeroHedge
- Is The EU Volcano About To Erupt? | ZeroHedge
- The Gold Standard and Debt Jubilee | ZeroHedge
- Wikileaks E-Mails Show Hillary Looked Into Parkinson's Drug After Suffering From "Decision Fatigue" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's the best way for cord cutters to watch football live this fall | Business Insider
- More than half the non-government... | Business Insider
- Boiler Room partners with Topman on a US... | Business Insider
- Watching Apple's EarPods melt is super satisfying (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton's private emails reveal a time... | Business Insider
- Michigan lost a big football recruit after they... | Business Insider
- Over 30 superhero movies are coming out in the next 5 years — here they all are | Business Insider