Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- John Embry: The Fundamental Attraction of Gold | ZeroHedge
- Robots Will Soon Take Over Building London Skyscrapers, Major UK Construction Firm CEO Warns | ZeroHedge
- Chart: The Central Bankers’ Bubble – 2007 vs. Today | Financial Sense
- White House Enraged At "Most Embarrassing Vote Ever" Senate Veto Override | ZeroHedge
- The Onion Fact-Checks Last Night's Debate | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Sells 7Y Paper In Another Mediocre, Tailing Auction; Bond Market Yawns | ZeroHedge
- How Republicans Rob People Of Their Right To Vote | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ivanka Trump explains how... | Business Insider
- Science-backed judgements people make based on the shape of your face... | Business Insider
- JCPenney has a new clothing line for millennial men — but it misses the... | Business Insider
- Conservative Arizona newspaper tears into Trump, endorses first... | Business Insider
- Mark Cuban had one of the best seats at the whole debate — here's how... | Business Insider
- NFL POWER RANKINGS: Where all 32 teams stand going into Week 4 | Business Insider
- The final trailer for the Harry Potter spinoff ‘Fantastic Beasts’ is... | Business Insider