Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Fallacy Of Forward Guidance In 4 Charts | ZeroHedge
- Can the United States Rule the (Energy) World? | Financial Sense
- Pentagon Warns Increase In Terrorism Due To Global Warming | ZeroHedge
- Wide Spreads to Keep in Mind | iBankCoin.com
- A Lackluster Start to the Year | Financial Sense
- Stocks: October 2007 vs. March 2014 | Financial Sense
- Abenomics Crucified With Lowest GDP Since Abe, Worst Current Account Deficit On Record | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 03/07: (SWY) (... | StreetInsider.com
- GROVER NORQUIST: Here Are The Only 6 Republicans Who Can Win In 2016 | Business Insider
- What You Need To Know About The Construction Of A Suit... | Business Insider
- A New Book Examines The World’s Love-Hate... | Business Insider
- The Future Of The Xbox One Rides On This New Incredibly Cool First-Person... | Business Insider
- China's Fake Trade Distortion Is Behind Its Ugly Export Data (FXI, EWH) | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: Americans Gain Wealth... | StreetInsider.com