Stocks are Up, everyone Jump In
Picking up the pieces from Hurricane Sandy the U.S. markets are now in day two of operation after taking two days off. Stocks are raging with the S&P 500 moving up 1%, the Dow Jones up 1.25% and the Nasdaq up 1.4%.
Today's increase is thanks to more jobs in the states, consumer confidence improving, and favorable ISM data. Today ADP said U.S. businesses added 158,000 jobs in October 2012. The Labor Department reported that applications for unemployment benefits dropped 9,000 to 363,000 last week. The market is taking that as a sign and money rich corporations are finally starting to hire again.
The latest consumer confidence reading for October came in at 72.2 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected a reading of 72.0. This follows prior month's 70.3 print.
October ISM Index came in better-than-expected at 51.7 versus the 51.0 Briefing.com consensus, and up from September's reading of 51.5. Meanwhile, September construction spending rose by 0.6% month-over-month, against the expected increase.
Enjoy the rally today Masters. Here's a look at the major indexes:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Brexit Takes Fresh Toll on Sterling, While Dollar Firms | Financial Sense
- Swedes Begin Construction Of Police Fortress In "Little Mogadishu" | ZeroHedge
- "It's The Inverse Of Keynes" - Earnings Season Was Very, Very Bad | ZeroHedge
- Healthcare Vote Timing: 3:45 pm - 4:45 pm; "Hard No's" Drop To 18 | ZeroHedge
- Why The French Election Will Decide Europe's Future | ZeroHedge
- NSA To Provide "Smoking Gun" Proof Obama Spied On Trump | ZeroHedge
- In Stinging Defeat, House Republicans Abandon Obamacare Repeal Effort | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 9 books everyone should read before they turn 30 | Business Insider
- This tote bag is perfect for women who carry their laptops to and from work | Business Insider
- Everything that happened on 'This is Us,' in... | Business Insider
- The new sci-fi thriller 'Life' is a cult classic in the making | Business Insider
- US Marshals sent to protect Hawaii judge who stopped Trump's latest travel ban | Business Insider
- 4 maps of past empires that can tell us about the future | Business Insider
- Elon Musk: The new Roadster will be Tesla's... | Business Insider