Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- NYSE Margin Debt Declined in January | Financial Sense
- Saturday Cinema with Le Fly: Rules of the Game | iBankCoin.com
- Seasonal Trends for the Month of March | iBankCoin.com
- Spot The Birth Of High-Frequency Trading | ZeroHedge
- "Massive Mis-Governance" - Q4 Obliterates The Case For QE And ZIRP | ZeroHedge
- 1987 Or 2015? The Gap Between Growth Expectations & Valuations Is "Ridiculous" | ZeroHedge
- OPEC’s Influence Has Long Been Exaggerated | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Why you will never be able to invest like Warren Buffett | Business Insider
- Egypt court declares Palestinian movement Hamas '... | Business Insider
- Bailed-out Spanish bank sees profits jump 83 percent | Business Insider
- What the CIA was really up to after 9/11 | Business Insider
- Uruguay's pot-friendly farmer president prepares... | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett fired a huge shot at the private equity business (BRKA... | Business Insider