Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Deutsche Bank Rallies On Modest Debt Buyback Plan, Schaeuble Proclaims "Strong, Resilient Bank" | ZeroHedge
- This Is The NIRP "Doom Loop" That Threatens To Wipeout Banks And The Global Economy | ZeroHedge
- The Hidden Agenda Behind Saudi Arabia’s Market Share Strategy | ZeroHedge
- Why Most Investors Hate Gold | ZeroHedge
- HSBC Cancels Pay Freeze After Two Weeks Following "Staff Revolt" | ZeroHedge
- This Is What Central Bank Failure Looks Like (Part 4) | ZeroHedge
- Greece Slides Back Into Recession Amid Riots, Rewewed "Grexit" Calls | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This brilliant color-changing toilet light solves a lot of nighttime problems | Business Insider
- These $18 headphones can compete with ones that are five times as expensive | Business Insider
- You're probably tying your shoes all wrong — here's the right way to do it | Business Insider
- The Federal Reserve is bracing for deflation for the first time since the 1930s | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- A California man used investor money to pay off his gambling debts | Business Insider
- Betty White gives the most hilarious review of the 'glorious' 'Deadpool... | Business Insider