Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Jim Grant On Complexity: The Hidden Cost Of Central Bank Actions | ZeroHedge
- Broken Market (Worse Than 2013 Nasdaq Blackout) Just Fails To Send S&P Back Over 2,000 | ZeroHedge
- Why '75' Is The Most Important Number For US Economic Hope | ZeroHedge
- The Wrath of Draghi: First German Bank Hits Savers with Negative Interest Rate | ZeroHedge
- Disillusioned Millennials Dump Democrats, Blame Obama | ZeroHedge
- Why I Don't Really Care About Your Product | ZeroHedge
- How Well Does the CPI Measure Individuals’ Health Care Burden? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Funeral museum rises again in death-fixated Vienna | Business Insider
- Kiwi Tumbles After New Zealand Central Bank Calls Current Level '... | Business Insider
- Top Gear Is Going On The Ultimate Road Trip Again — And The Trailer Looks Amazing... | Business Insider
- The Most Frustrating Part Of Tim Cook's 'I'm Proud To Be... | Business Insider
- Nike Releases Intense Commercial About LeBron James Returning To Cleveland | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- ... | StreetInsider.com