Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Second Largest US Pension Fund To Sell 12% Of Stocks Holdings In Advance Of "Another Downturn" | ZeroHedge
- Oversold Extremes and the Case for an October Low | Financial Sense
- “Fear Trade” Alert—Again | Financial Sense
- The Alarming Regularity of 6 and 7-Sigma Events Illustrates Why a Deep Understanding of Banker-Induced Fraud is a Necessity | ZeroHedge
- What Declining Global Reserves Mean For Bond Yields: Goldman's Take | ZeroHedge
- Is China Dumping US Treasuries? | Financial Sense
- A Winter of Discontent for Russia | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Manchester United headline deadline day with Martial move... | Business Insider
- Prosecutor: 2nd video emerges of deadly shooting by... | Business Insider
- Scientists have finally caught the first video of the bushy-... | Business Insider
- 1 Marine killed, 9 hurt in helicopter hard landing | Business Insider
- China worries drive US stocks down nearly 3% | Business Insider
- Barely anybody is using Microsoft's new browser (MSFT) | Business Insider