Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Swiss Franc Will Collapse | Financial Sense
- December Durable Goods: A Major Disappointment | Financial Sense
- Random Thoughts on a Cruise to Nowhere | Financial Sense
- Put Your Arm in the Meat Grinder Please | iBankCoin.com
- Occupied By Wall Street – The Latest TARP Taxpayer Screw-Job Is Revealed | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Shale Boom May Come to Abrupt End | Financial Sense
- "It's Different This Time" GDP Hockey-Sticks Edition | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Eurozone Is Tumbling Into Its Deepest Deflation Ever | Business Insider
- 7 traits that helped Danny Meyer build the Shake Shack empire | Business Insider
- Microsoft May Have Just Released The Best Gmail App For The... | Business Insider
- Virtual Reality Is Coming To Planes As In-Flight... | Business Insider
- New Ukraine peace talks to take place Friday | Business Insider
- US Senate approves controversial Keystone pipeline | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek