Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- MeMoiR OF a KeYNeSiaN BuBBLe MaeSTRO... | ZeroHedge
- Central Banks Now In "Dangerous Situation": "You've Thrown The Kitchen Sink At It, What's Next?" | ZeroHedge
- Glencore Stock Is Re-Crashing | ZeroHedge
- Fortress Backs Hundred Million Dollar Subprime, Payday Lender Scheme: "He Has Peacock Feathers Tattooed Down His Left Arm" | ZeroHedge
- A New "Red Line" | ZeroHedge
- Egypt’s Gas Find Sets Mediterranean Geopolitics on Fire | Financial Sense
- Prominent Permabull Says Correction Not Over Yet, Expect "Final Capitulation" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- SABMiller shares are diving on fears its $250... | Business Insider
- British businesses are worried their workforce will never retire | Business Insider
- Two Singaporeans charged for fixing 2013 Turkey matches | Business Insider
- Thousands of federal drug inmates set for early release | Business Insider
- AFP award recognises Thai journalist for... | Business Insider
- Dan Jennings returning to general manager job with... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek