Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Belarus In Full-Blown Hyperinflation Panic: Blocks News, Online Stores; Bans All FX Trading For 2 Years | ZeroHedge
- "Houston, You Have A Problem" - Texas Is Headed For A Recession Due To Oil Crash, JPM Warns | ZeroHedge
- Does Russia Present a Systemic Threat to Global Markets? | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: December 22 | ZeroHedge
- Wall Street Gets A Merry Christmas Main Street Gets Keynesian Coal | ZeroHedge
- The Keynesian PhD Brigade Strikes Again: Sweden’s Riksbank Joins The ZIRP Mania | ZeroHedge
- Uncle Sam Does The Impossible: Loses $105 Million/Year Coining Money! | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Turkey-based AFP photographer wins Time laurel | Business Insider
- These Are The 10 Best Used Cars For First-Time Drivers | Business Insider
- The NFL's Nightmare Playoff Scenario Is About To Come True... Again | Business Insider
- US urges N. Korea to compensate Sony for cyberattack | Business Insider
- Mourinho backs Chelsea to avoid more Stoke misery | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com