Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Tide Is Turning Against The Oligarchs | ZeroHedge
- "Fake News" Site Threatens Washington Post With Defamation Suit, Demands Retraction | ZeroHedge
- Trade Deficit Grows More Than Expected As Stronger Dollar Pressures Exports | ZeroHedge
- Carrier & The Slippery Slope | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: December 7 | ZeroHedge
- Michigan Republicans File Emergency Motion To Halt Recount As Another Major Snag Emerges | ZeroHedge
- Rising Bond Yields Could Send $250 Billion Into Equity Funds | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- THE... | Business Insider
- An increasing number of Israeli Arabs are choosing to fight... | Business Insider
- Another hedge fund backed by investing legend Julian... | Business Insider
- Activist investor sends a brutal letter to turn Buffalo Wild Wings... | Business Insider
- 20 tech gifts under $100 for everyone in your life | Business Insider
- The charging cable I've been using every day for a year is on sale right now | Business Insider