Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- HSBC China PMI Indicates 4th Month Of Contraction As Yuan Weakens To Fresh 16 Months Lows | ZeroHedge
- Energy and Staples Take the Money Cake Again | iBankCoin.com
- Here Comes The Next Great Rotation: Out Of Stocks And Into Bonds | ZeroHedge
- Japan Has Proven That Central Banks Cannot Generate Growth With QE | ZeroHedge
- Has Inflation in the U.S. Bottomed Out? | Financial Sense
- Organizing Some Morning Strategy | iBankCoin.com
- Just Because Tech Stocks Are Cratering, That Doesn’t Mean They Ain’t Cool | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CHART OF THE DAY: Here's How Much Russia Controls Of The World's Most... | Business Insider
- MOBILE... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- This Ultra-Luxurious Concept Car Could Be The First $200,000 BMW | Business Insider
- Here's Why The Supreme Court May Have A Hard Time Understanding A Huge Technology Case | Business Insider
- David Moyes Is Out As Manager Of Manchester United | Business Insider
- 5 College Debt Myths You Can't Afford to Believe | TheStreet.com