Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- E-Commerce With Chinese Characteristics | Financial Sense
- Fractional Reserve Banking: How to Create and Destroy Money | Financial Sense
- Brazil: Is This Emerging Market Now a Buying Opportunity? | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: There Is Too Little Gold In The West | ZeroHedge
- Sunday Morning Charts | iBankCoin.com
- Enormous Discrepancy Between Jobs and Employment Continues | Financial Sense
- Japan vs China Feud Will Secure Nuclear | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com
- Trading... | StreetInsider.com
- PHOTOS: This Is The Quietest Place On Earth (IBM) | Business Insider
- This Map Shows The Dominant Religious Group In Every US County | Business Insider
- GARTMAN: I Fear For South Africa Now That Mandela Has Died | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Jim Cramer's Top Stock Picks: GE GM CONN TCBI | TheStreet.com