Top 3 Dividend Stocks for 2013
They are Exelon (EXC), Safeway (SWY), and Energy Transfer Partners (ETP).
Some are saying that Obama's "Taxmageddon" is going to be a game-over scenario for dividend stocks.
However, we don't think so. Here's why.
Institutional buyers of dividend stocks are taxed at their own rate so they did not benefit from the 2003 cut in dividend taxes anyway - which means they won't suffer from a new increase.
And even among retail investors, many have their investments in 401(k)s or IRAs. These holders will continue to receive dividends that won't be immediately taxed.
The talk is that if we fall off the fiscal cliff, taxes on dividends will revert to the full income tax rate of each individual taxpayer.
For the top retail taxpayers that are not investing using a tax-deferred account, that means the top rate on dividends will rise from 15% to 43.4% if dividends become fully taxable again.
And lastly, Bernanke is saying short term interest loans are going to stay low until 2015. Dividend yields should still offer an attractive yield compared to bonds.
Enough said, now let's get to the stocks:
Exelon (EXC) - 7% yield
Shares of the $25B Utility giant are down 28% YTD, yet it has not cut its dividend. On November 1st, EXC announced earnings that beat on EPS and they upped Guidance.
Over the past 12 months Exelon Corp (EXC) shares have traded between $28.4 and its 52-week high of $44.45. Exelon Corp shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 15.9 and EPS of 1.87.
Safeway (SWY) Dividend Yield - 4.15%
Over the past 12 months Safeway Inc (SWY) shares have traded between $14.73 and its 52-week high of $23.16. Safeway Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 8.8 and EPS of 2.07.
Energy Transfer Partners (ETP) Dividend Yield - 8.27%
Over the past 12 months Energy Transfer Partners LP (ETP) shares have traded between $40.19 and its 52-week high of $51. Energy Transfer Partners LP shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 8.4 and EPS of 4.53.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- This Is Wall Street At Its Most Fatalistic: "Markets Are Now Coupled In A "Destructive” Way" | ZeroHedge
- Don't Panic! "Experts" Agree - This Is Not 2008 | ZeroHedge
- Americans Have Never Been Fatter: Obesity Rate Rises To Highest Level On Record | ZeroHedge
- Jose Canseco Says "Everyone Should Be In Gold", Predicts $1,500 By Memorial Day | ZeroHedge
- 637 Rate Cuts And $12.3 Trillion In Global QE Later, World Shocked To Find "Quantitative Failure" | ZeroHedge
- Selling Pressure Wanes But Credit Markets Still Troubling | Financial Sense
- NWO (revisited again and again)... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's only one way for Elon Musk to realize his game-changing vision (tsla) | Business Insider
- We might be able to train our bodies into thinking we’ve had medicine — and it could... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Here's why most manhole covers are round | Business Insider
- How the role of the CFO is changing rapidly | Business Insider
- This is the most profound explanation I've heard of what it means to detect... | Business Insider
- 11 must-have tech accessories that cost $20 or less | Business Insider