Groundhog Day for Crocs
Crocs Inc (CROX) got kicked in the groundhog today, falling 10% and ending at $14.19 a share. That's just 15% away from its 12 month low. However this soccer mom shoe play did the same thing last year as Jim Duffy of Stifel Nicolaus noted. If correct history could repeat itself on the stock and take it right back to $20 (a 40% ROI) before the year is over.
Today the market sold Crocs like a bad plastic shoe that can rip off your foot if caught in an escalator. Crocs Inc. said the holiday season was "difficult" and their backlog growth for the first half of 2013 will be at the lower end of its previous guidance. The selloff has priced Crocs with a a P/E Ratio of 10.2 and EPS of 1.54.
Jim Duffy of Stifel Nicolaus said Crocs didn't provide an update to its fourth-quarter earnings outlook, which calls for breakeven results. The analyst said in a client note that is similar to what the company did last year before the ICR Exchange conference, and it was viewed as a mixed signal. But Duffy said when Crocs did report quarterly earnings for the prior-year period, they were above previous guidance.
The analyst views the stock as undervalued and kept a "Buy" rating and $20 price target on it.
Duffy could be onto something here, last time this happened Crocs went on a 25% run. For once an analyst that is positive on a stock might be right. The market is happy to punish Crocs on any bad news, it's par for the course on this stock. Much to our amazement Crocs Inc. only has a short float of 4.5%. Could this mean traders don't expect this stock to tank in 2013?
Bottom line: Crocs could easily keep falling, but this might be a overreaction by traders holding shares. Q4 earnings aren't due until next month so trade at your own risk. Until that time CROX might be worth going long with a small position.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Rig Count Drops For Record 19th Week In A Row | ZeroHedge
- Initial Jobless Claims Miss By Most In 2 Months, Continuing Claims Collapse To Lowest Since Dec 2000 | ZeroHedge
- The IMF Admits The IMF's Forecast Of Blockbuster Greek GDP Growth May Be A Little High | ZeroHedge
- Jobless Claims, Housing Starts and Earnings Results in Focus | Financial Sense
- Neil Dutta: No U.S. Slowdown, Though Investment Opportunities Better Overseas | Financial Sense
- I Need the Pain | iBankCoin.com
- Putin Live: Talks US, Nukes, Ukraine, Iran, Hitler, And Cloning In Town Hall Meeting — Full VIdeo | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Try a simple psychological trick to save more money | Business Insider
- The new 'Star Wars' trailer appears to confirm one of the movie's first... | Business Insider
- Apple is worried Samsung won't make enough chips for the next... | Business Insider
- Here's some of the weird stuff you can buy on Etsy, the Brooklyn company that just... | Business Insider
- The US dollar rally is running into a major problem (UUP, USDU, UUPT, UDN, UDNT,... | Business Insider
- R2-D2 plane to spirit 'Star Wars' fans far, far away | Business Insider
- Democratic rival attacks Hillary Clinton for shifting... | Business Insider