Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- After VISA's Stock Split, The Most Important Company In The Dow Jones "Industrial" Average Is... | ZeroHedge
- NASDAQ On Support | iBankCoin.com
- Either Oil Soars Back To $88, Or Energy Stocks Have To Tumble By Over 40% | ZeroHedge
- Bank Of Russia Surprises With Unexpected Rate Cut, Brings YTD Total Of Nations Easing To 14 | ZeroHedge
- Pending Home Sales See 2nd Biggest MoM Plunge Since May 2010 | ZeroHedge
- Market Wrap: Treasury-Equity Reallocation Trade Pushes Futures Lower, 10 Year Rises To 1.72% | ZeroHedge
- Thursday Humor: The Pros & Cons Of Fracking | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Alibaba quarterly earnings plunge 28% to $964 mn | Business Insider
- Sky Is Going To War With BT By Entering The Mobile Sector | Business Insider
- Villarreal to face Barca in Cup semis | Business Insider
- Doug Baldwin Nearly Quit Football Because Of Jim Harbaugh 5 Years Ago... | Business Insider
- Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and can't move — here's why | Business Insider
- Kobe Bryant Wanted To Team Up With Michael Jordan On The... | Business Insider
- Giphy, A 2-Year-Old Search... | Business Insider