Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Sellside Reacts: "17% Rate Hike Not Enough" According To Citi, JPM; Goldman Positive: "Removes CBR Uncertainty" | ZeroHedge
- Legendary "Closing Dinner" Organizer Sage Kelly Quits Jefferies | ZeroHedge
- Draghi Now Has All the Ammunition He Needs for QE - Implementation Still a Problem | Financial Sense
- Russian Currency Crisis and Defaults Could Create Contagion in West | ZeroHedge
- Abort? EURUSD In Catastrophe Mode | iBankCoin.com
- 17-Year-Old Trading Genius Who "Made " $72 Million Actually Just "Made It All Up" | ZeroHedge
- EUR Tumbles As ECB Coeure (Once Again) Signals Sovereign QE Is Coming | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Researchers 'Averaged' The Faces Of 400 CEOs — Here's The Prototypical... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- 17 Startup Darlings That Dropped Off The Map This Year | Business Insider
- 10 Secret Features Hidden In Your Mac (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Will Bitcoin Ever Really Take Off, Even With Microsoft Now Accepting It? | TheStreet.com
- Housing Starts Unexpectedly Fall | Business Insider