Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stock Of The Year | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: February 27 | ZeroHedge
- Yellen’s Patience Is Market’s Gain | Financial Sense
- Greenspan: "The Stock Market Is Great", But The Economy Feels Like In "The Late Stages Of The Great Depression" | ZeroHedge
- Q4 GDP Revised Down To 2.2% From 5.0%: Full Breakdown | ZeroHedge
- Pending Home Sales Miss For 5th Month In A Row | ZeroHedge
- Here Is What Americans Spent Their "Gas Savings" On | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Look how ugly these 9 popular websites used to be | Business Insider
- HP CEO Meg Whitman makes the whole company follow the advice in this book (HPQ) | Business Insider
- Police recover pearl gown stolen from movie star Nyong'... | Business Insider
- Science says your success in a job... | Business Insider
- NIMOY: One of the greatest things about Star Trek was that it inspired scientists | Business Insider
- Twitter has one major advantage over Google and Facebook (TWTR)... | Business Insider