Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Warns 'Will Respond To Trump Presidency' | ZeroHedge
- Uncertain Global Growth and Policy Environment | Financial Sense
- Dollar's Best Day In 6 Months Sparks Stock Slump, Bond Jump | ZeroHedge
- Q1 GDP Advance Estimate at 0.5%, Worse Than Mainstream Forecasts | Financial Sense
- As The Sohn Conference Begins, This Is How Last Year's Hedge Fund Picks Did | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Gasoline Prices Hit 6 Month High, Keep Rising | ZeroHedge
- Home Prices Rose 5.3% Year-Over-Year in February | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Game of Thrones' star Kit Harington lied to costars to keep... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- The manufacturing industry is being revolutionized by the Internet of Things | Business Insider
- The 15 highest-paying jobs for doctors | Business Insider
- US Defense Secretary: Russia is 'nuclear saber-rattling' | Business Insider
- The internet wants a Spotify ‘tip jar’ | Business Insider
- One of the most painful lessons ever learned in finance has finally come to... | Business Insider