Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The One Rate That Is Not Only Not Going Down, But Is At A 13-Year High | ZeroHedge
- Tumble Tuesday: Stocks Slide On Sanctions Blowback Fears, Dollar Jumps | ZeroHedge
- French Housing "In Total Meltdown", "Current Figures Are Disastrous" | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Give Up Post-FOMC Gains, Dollar Drops, Gold Flat | ZeroHedge
- "End Torture," Ron Paul Demands "Shut Down The CIA!" | ZeroHedge
- Don’t Mind This Junk Buried in the Trunk | iBankCoin.com
- Five Stocks Paying Their Union Dues | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Deutsche Bank Expects Today's GDP Report To Blow Away Expectations | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton Rips Into Dick Cheney For Obama Criticism | Business Insider
- Twitter Rating Cut to 'Sell' at Pivotal Research | TheStreet.com
- Why U.S. Steel Stock Is Soaring Today | TheStreet.com
- Stephen Colbert Gave A Heartwarming, Geektastic Speech During 'The Hobbit... | Business Insider
- This Company Is Turning The Desert Green — And It Could Radically Change the... | Business Insider
- DENNIS GARTMAN: Exploding Chicken Chain Shares Stink Of A Stock Market Top (LOCO) | Business Insider