Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Republicans Blast Hillary: "Not Even Nixon Destroyed The Tapes" | ZeroHedge
- Felix Zulauf: Asset Prices Will Continue to Inflate as China Joins the Party Next | Financial Sense
- Wages Around The World | ZeroHedge
- What’s REALLY Going On In Yemen | ZeroHedge
- A 'Miner' Problem, $2 Billion In Negative Working Capital | ZeroHedge
- Crude Oil Inventories Should Peak Soon | Financial Sense
- Weather Constrained Retail: Focus on Outdoor Dining | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 16 greatest books about how to be a man | Business Insider
- What it's like to ride 'the Train of Death... | Business Insider
- Personal income rises more than expected in February (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, TLT) | Business Insider
- Varoufakis says blame game helps Europe's enemies | Business Insider
- Singer Sam Smith lost 14 pounds in 14 days and now everyone is going nuts... | Business Insider
- EXPERTS: Here's how much sleep you really need | Business Insider
- Total sells Nigerian oil field stake for $569 mn | Business Insider