Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Massive "No" Demonstration Floods Athens' Syntagma Square As Tsipras Speaks - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- While the World Watches Greece THIS is Happening | ZeroHedge
- How Greece Has Fallen Victim To "Economic Hit Men" | ZeroHedge
- Good On You, Greece - But Don’t Waver Now (Part 2) | ZeroHedge
- Jobs Jolt Sparks Bond Bid; Stocks Skid As "Day Of Greckoning" Looms | ZeroHedge
- Fearing Spillover, ECB Moves To Shield Neighboring Banks From Greek Meltdown | ZeroHedge
- Events Continue to Conspire Against The Fed | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Take a tour of popular food startup Food52's beautiful new... | Business Insider
- The 1,200 Microsoft sales staffers offered jobs... | Business Insider
- Mourners hold minute's silence at Tunisia beach... | Business Insider
- One Belarusian company reportedly started paying its employees in sour... | Business Insider
- In under two days, Boko Haram kills nearly 170 in NE... | Business Insider
- The Greek government just got... | Business Insider
- Graffiti of one particular word is smothering Greece | Business Insider