Stock to Watch: Peabody Energy
Peabody Energy (BTU) and the entire coal sector has fallen off a cliff. Since last summer BTU's share price has been cut in half.
Peabody trades for $30 a share and sports a 1.2% annual dividend yield. There's no denying the coal industry is in trouble, prices for Appalachian coal are down 24% over the past 12 months. Coal is cheap and so is Peabody with its P/E Ratio of 8.1 and EPS of 3.52.
There are plans to cut coal power generation, its too dirty and its going to hurt Peabody who is America's largest coal producer. Natural gas with its ultra cheap price and abundant quantity is killing coal. For more on natural gas stock picks check out 3 Natural Gas Stocks to Watch. However Peabody Energy is not dead by any means and its best of breed in the coal sector.
Last week Howard Weil upgraded Peabody to "outperform" and kept its $51 target price on the stock. That's a bold prediction but if Weil is right Peabody shares could increase 68% in next 12 months.
Some positive words for Peabody and coal via BusinessWeek.com yesterday by Matthew Philips:
Not everyone believes coal is finished. Analysts at FBR Capital Markets, a Virginia-based investment bank, think most coal-to-gas switching has already happened, and further switching will be much harder because of logistical constraints and existing contracts. “King Coal is not so easily displaced,” says FBR analyst Marc de Croisett. Overseas customers are materializing, too: U.S. coal exports rose 57 percent from 2009 through the end of 2011. New power generation in China and India could add 300 million tons of new coal demand this year.
MASTERY Bottom line:
Peabody Energy and its friends in the coal industry have had enough Hater-Aid poured on them in the past few months.
A star company like Peabody despite the negative outlook is going to start finding analyst support based on low expectations and a reduced share price.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 50 Years Of Washington’s Air Wars: Why They Always Fail | ZeroHedge
- Four Places That Could Become Water Conflict Zones | Financial Sense
- G-20 Post Mortem: Hopes, Fears, & Dashed Exepctations | ZeroHedge
- Knife-Wielding Veteran Sniper Rushes White House, Wants To Warn Obama "Atmosphere Is Collapsing" | ZeroHedge
- Dow Theory: Yellow Flags or Green Light? | Financial Sense
- US Stocks Give Up "Dovish FOMC" Gains As Russell 2000 Completes "Death Cross" | ZeroHedge
- Liquidations Continue: Stocks, Dollar Slide, Precious Metals Pounded In Asia Trading | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's How Hacked Celebrities Are Responding To The Latest Round... | Business Insider
- Tesco reveals 'serious' profit error, shares plunge | Business Insider
- LEON COOPERMAN: The Stock Market Is 'Fairly Valued,' But The Bond Market... | Business Insider
- Why Bank of America, JPMorgan, Wells Fargo Are Finally Waking Up | TheStreet.com
- New Nude Photos Of Jennifer Lawrence Appear On Reddit After Another Round Of... | Business Insider
- This New Report Shows Why Taxi Drivers Are Terrified Of... | Business Insider
- This Is The Hardest Riddle On The Internet | Business Insider