Russia to Cyprus: I Must Break You
Russia is not up for paying the bill to bailout Cyprus. All more the reason to consider staying in cold hard cash and small positions in the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) and ProShares Short S&P500 (SH). President Vladimir Putin went on record and he believes the terms are "dangerous" and "unfair".
More on the subject via the WSJ.com
MOSCOW—Russia on Monday blasted a proposal for a bank-deposit tax that would hit Russian customers with a $2 billion bill to help finance Cyprus's bailout, with President Vladimir Putin calling the move "dangerous" and "unfair," and officials warning they may have to reconsider restructuring a $3.3 billion loan to the island nation.
The proposed move would impact Russian financial institutions, which hold more than $30 billion in accounts there, or roughly 30% of all Cypriot deposits. Russian officials said they weren't consulted on the proposal by euro-zone finance ministers and the International Monetary Fund, which Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev likened to Soviet-era property seizures.
Here is what Russia is really saying to Cyprus:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- All I Want For Christmas Is The S&P (The Las Vegas Period) | ZeroHedge
- Hilsenrath Hits The Tape: Ignore Everything I Said Two Weeks Ago | ZeroHedge
- Can Two Senators End “Too Big to Fail?” | Financial Sense
- Financial Euphoria | Financial Sense
- Argentine Inflation: It’s Tough When All You Get Is Lies | ZeroHedge
- Present Shock And The Loss Of History And Context | ZeroHedge
- Anthony Weiner To Prop Up NYC Mayoral Campaign With Many More Naked Pictures Of Himself | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable 52-Week Highs and... | StreetInsider.com
- PAUL TUDOR JONES: Babies Are The Biggest 'Killer' Of Women's Trading... | Business Insider
- Twitter Just Added An Extra Layer Of Security To Prevent Your Account From Being... | Business Insider
- BEAT: FHFA House Price Index Rises 1.3% (ITB, XHB) | Business Insider
- 25% Of People Say Birthday 'Success' Is Based On How Much... | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: New Home Sales Surge;... | StreetInsider.com
- Women In A Poor West African Country Are Force-Feeding Themselves For Beauty's... | Business Insider